PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo yo yo.

I got a zs190 sitting in a box and I guess I'll just put it into this bike unless I get a good on a grom clone.

Im going to do my best to use the stock wiring, convert to 12v, update the bulbs, etc but dies the cdi need to be dc or AC? This part is whats confusing me.

5 pin. Vs 6 pin cdis and so on.

Right now I have a lifan 125cc in it but its just the engine harness connected for puttin around.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The way I understand it...
Stators ALWAYS make AC power.
If you want DC, you need a rectifier. The rectifier converts AC to DC.
The CDI is only to run the engine, control ignition timing etc. The CDI uses AC power straight from the primary coil.
Pretty much ALL of the little Honda's use AC power for the headlight only. They use DC power for the battery circuit...charging, and lighting.
In other words...there are 2 different lighting circuits...one is AC for the HL. The other goes thru a rectifier for battery charging and all other lighting.

Dratv has a ton of info on their website, including info on 5 and 6 pin CDI's, regulator/rectifiers, etc.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Well, this is most often the case, but not always the case. Some CDI units use DC power and are pulled from the battery circuit. So the AC from the stator runs to rectifier and then powers the CDI unit. But otherwise, this seems accurate. I ALWAYS opt for AC-driven spark circuits when given the chance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts