PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
ZB50
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regulars will have seen my spiral back into minis over the last few weeks.

Now that I have my childhood ZB50 back on the road I am at a bit of a crossroads. I see some of the modded ZB50s and love the idea, but lack the time, resources, and most importantly skillset necessary to accomplish this.

I have searched the forums and have read a few comments suggesting keeping the original motor to be able to swap it back at some point in the future. I don't plan on going on any lengthy rides so would like to stick with the stock 10" wheels, forks, drum brakes, etc.. In that case, what would be the best motor to get that would easily bolt on and bolt out? In this case I'm willing to spare power for the ability to revert back to the original engine without any lasting damage.

From what I've seen in the forums the Piranha 140 with the original Honda stator is a reliable bet. Is there anything bigger than can fit without major modification? I'd also prefer something that wouldn't keep the neutral light on, but recognize that is likely going to be an issue no matter which way I go.

Going this path should let me wait until I can find a fully modded ZB50 for sale, or a mint ZB50 I can keep in pristine condition while modding my childhood bike.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You can't really go wrong with the Pirhana 140 with the original honda stator. The 140 is about as big as you can go without the need to hack in an oil cooler, wack up the wiring harness, or other mods.

I agree with you, keep it as stock as you can, ZBs are getting rare these days, especially stock versions. There were a ton of these that were carved up and will never be able to put back to stock.

Post some pictures, we would love to see your project! Good luck!

·
Registered
ZB50
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I contacted TBolt about the Piranha 140 fitting and Vince has concerns about the clutch actuator fitting or requiring a modification to the frame.

Does anyone know of anyone Who had fit the Piranha 140 manual to the ZB50? I’ve seen a few people order them, but cant find any updates.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Piranha 140 fits into a ZB without any issues. I’ve done 2 transplants. It’s tight - bit it’s fine. I didn’t have my zb stator plate in tight, screw came out and ate my zb stator! UGH! Still trying to figure out how to get jumpy dumpty back together again

·
Registered
ZB50
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Engine swap is under way! While I’m working on it I got a tank that is in a slightly worse condition than my OEM one. Downside is it it missing all the rubber bits.

I’m good with front and under rubber, but I’m having trouble finding back rubber that bolt goes through.

It’s part number 17612-166-000. #9 on the tank diagram.

Any options for an alternative part?

·
Registered
61 Posts
The rear tank grommets are long since discontinued. But treatland.tv had an after market version but they are out of stock (same as the MB5 grommets)

honda MB5 gas tank rubber grommet

I have a NOS honda one left over in my spare parts pile, if you throw me $20 I can send it your way.

·
Registered
ZB50
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw signs there was an aftermarket version at one point.

I’m in for $20! I’ll message you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts