PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a 12V coil work at all on a Z50R with a 6V ignition. I have it all plugged in, and there is some current going through it, but it isn't enough to shoot a spark across the spark plug. I touched the cap as it was kicked over and it was a tickle, but it didn't make me jump or anything. The site I ordered the coil from said that it would work on 1970-1994 Z50's. I beleive however, that the have no clue what they are talking about. Any help?

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Put the plug in the cap, hold the plug close to something metal (near one of the fins on the head) and kick the bike over. Do you get a nice blue spark? You plug won't spark unless you hold it a couple of mm's from one of the fins on the head.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Did you replace the original stator assembly, and properly adjust the points and replace the condensor? Bad condensor or old condensor, weak spark. Misadjusted or dirty points, weak or no spark.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
everything electric on this bike is brand spankin' new. TB stator assembly. Everything adjusted right and secure and clean. DRATV wiring harness. Chintsy "retro bikes" coil that i am thinking is the culprit. Does anybody know how many volts should be coming out of the ignition coil?? The stator would have 6 i'm assuming?

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Z88R, if there is current coming out of the coil, do you think the problem lies within the stator assembly or the coil. The more I look up electronics...the more i dont think it matters if its a 12 or 6 volt coil. I actually remember seeing a CT70 or something that you posted with a car coil on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.