PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I found an 84 ATC70 and a 94 Z50R. I cant choose between which one to build for my little girl. Shes turning 1 in a few weeks and for her first birthday Im starting her off right.

Which one do you think would be best for her first bike. Im going to get one tommorow and just am stuck between both. :(

·
Registered
830 Posts
I have a atc70 and they are cool little machines but they are very dangerous and with no suspension they beet the crap out of you build her the z50 much safer

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
yellow bandit said:
I have a atc70 and they are cool little machines but they are very dangerous and with no suspension they beet the crap out of you build her the z50 much safer

Not if you run the proper 3-5 psi in the tires. If they are beating the crap out of you, you are running too much tire pressure.

Personally, I'd put the kids on an ATC since they have a governor. Z50's do not. My kids want no part of my Z50's but love riding the ATC.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The wife says she wants the Z50R because it isnt as heavy if it flips on her. I like the ATCs and only have motorcycles right now. The Z50 I could build into a street machine at some point. hmmm I may have to get them both.:) Still havent decided. Dan did the kids wreck on the Z50 and then didnt want anything to do with it or did they just not want anything to do with it off the bat?

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
jmurray192 said:
The wife says she wants the Z50R because it isnt as heavy if it flips on her. I like the ATCs and only have motorcycles right now. The Z50 I could build into a street machine at some point. hmmm I may have to get them both.:) Still havent decided. Dan did the kids wreck on the Z50 and then didnt want anything to do with it or did they just not want anything to do with it off the bat?

The just don't care about the Z50's. They would rather ride their bicycles. But, they do enjoy riding the ATC.

I got my 1998 Z50R from a guy who bought it for his daughter. The first time she rode it, she dumped it, got hurt and it sat for 10 years until I got it.

It's all about personal preference. I'd rather ride the ATC most days when the kids are around.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I have both and I really enjoy the ATC. The Z50 is my baby...

I have a 125cc on both which make them tons of fun. You do have to run the tires with really low PSI, but that is what its all about....

GET BOTH!

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Good Looking Ugly Guy said:
atc in the snow :D can we say donuts oh sand too. I'd say grab a atc at 1 years old you can take her for a ride on it and hold her at the same time.

Yeah, we had snow in Dallas this winter for a day and it was a blast drifting and doing donuts in the snow. We probably won't get that much snow for at least another 100 years though...:(

·
Registered
400 Posts
oh thats right you guys have 2 seasons warm and hot. when we get snow here it is here for a while. 2008 I had a 3 foot pile along my sidewalk for 2 months before it started to melt off. we had an awesome snow fort.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Yep. It was literally 14 inches in 24 hours... then 48 hours later...gone.

Its already 90 here- time to rejet the carb. And to think I had finally gotten it dialed in for spring.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
theres a reason they dont sell ATCs anymore.... they rnt safe! I would never put my lil man on a 3 wheeler til he was skilled on either 2 or 4 first......

Z50 all the way! and it was my first bike and I learned well.

but her personality should b a good way to judge. but if it is a bike for the kid go w/ 2 or 4 wheels. hope she loves it either way.... my son doesnt really care to ride, he loves everything moto, just no real interest in "riding" kinda weird cuz I LOVE TO RIDE!

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
PitRacerVince said:
theres a reason they dont sell ATCs anymore.... they rnt safe! I would never put my lil man on a 3 wheeler til he was skilled on either 2 or 4 first......

Z50 all the way! and it was my first bike and I learned well.

but her personality should b a good way to judge. but if it is a bike for the kid go w/ 2 or 4 wheels. hope she loves it either way.... my son doesnt really care to ride, he loves everything moto, just no real interest in "riding" kinda weird cuz I LOVE TO RIDE!

I call BS! MY ATC has a throttle governor and my 6 year old rides it at walking speed. He's split his bicycle helmet riding his bicycle. Guess we should outlaw kids riding bikes!

People got hurt on ATC's because they did stupid crap on them, same reason why people get hurt and killed on dirtbikes, streetbikes, cars and bathtubs.

ATC's were forced to quit production due to bureaucracy, same reason why Pitbikes were banned from being sold at dealers due to the lead content in the cylinders. Kids might eat them, we better not sell them!

Same reason why here in 10 years, we'll all be driving 4 cylinder or hybrid cars again that have a mandated 35-40mpg minimum to meet new requirements.

Same reason why 2 strokes are almost completely phased out. A small number of people deciding what they feel like is the greater good.

It's all about personal preference on if you want to start your kids out on a Z50 or ATC, but either is better than having a kid sit around and play vids or watch TV.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts