PlanetMinis Forums banner

Run 8" rims or fat 10"/ Fat 12"

• Total voters
101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
I found some terrific chain rub protectors for the stock OEM swingarms and will try to remember where I saw them.
What I am talking about are the extended rectangular shaped swingarms that are more likely to need the
chain rub protectors. One comes with the extended swing arms when you buy but non of the sellers provide
replacements when they wear out. Very short sighted in my opinion.

Scott

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
My Chinese extended swinger came with the rub pad that is bolted to the upper section of the swinger. I also added a roller to help keep the chain from rubbing when suspension is under light load. Loaded, it wouldn’t touch.
If I never need to replace it, I would just buy a piece of delrin and make my own. Simple enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I found some terrific chain rub protectors for the stock OEM swingarms and will try to remember where I saw them.
What I am talking about are the extended rectangular shaped swingarms that are more likely to need the
chain rub protectors. One comes with the extended swing arms when you buy but non of the sellers provide
replacements when they wear out. Very short sighted in my opinion.

Scott
If you search the forum you will find a few threads on making replacement chain sliders for discontinued swingarms/sliders that wear too fast.

Delrin/acetal plastic and nylon are mentioned as materials to make your own. Cheap route is dollar store nylon cutting board cut up and formed with heat gun.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My Chinese extended swinger came with the rub pad that is bolted to the upper section of the swinger. I also added a roller to help keep the chain from rubbing when suspension is under light load. Loaded, it wouldn’t touch.
If I never need to replace it, I would just buy a piece of delrin and make my own. Simple enough.

That is a beautiful chain roller. Looks almost like a skate wheel. I have been looking
at the bottom of my bike and noticed the axis bolt that the rear brake lever swings
on might serve as a good place to mount a wheel if extended etc. Looks like that
was done here. ( great minds think alike ) Meanwhile, I have seen some sexy
chain rollers with springs to maintain tension as the chain stretches. I am going
to have to get a new chain soon for the new swingarm and I am interested in any
type chain that is known to not stretch as much. It seems like I remember once
seeing pre-stretched chains somewhere ..... not sure where
or what the application was. So broadly speaking do expensive long lasting o-ring
chains stretch more faster than other types of chain ? Of course I am just trying
to get out of a little work as I could adjust the chain tension every five ten or fifty
hours of use whatever it may be. It obviously is not that hard but the big concern
is if the chain outstretches the available adjustment space.

See the brake lever pivot pin in attached picture. # Brake Lever Pivot.jpg

the

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I was thinking the same thing about mounting but it turned out that the stub of the brake arm pivot was too low so it was just a simple matter of drilling an hole just above.

The chain roller is in fact a roller. I have actually seen some use a skateboard wheel but I wanted something that would last.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Lots going on. Every nut and bolt seems like a loose end. Closer than ever but still so far away.

Attachments

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Front number plate is on. Now I just need hosed.

Attachments

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Kickstand extended 4inches so it's usable as a pitbike.

Since these pics I have gone through the wiring and have that sorted out. Also changed the vent hose on the carb to longer pieces and secured them. Have the hose ends for the brake hose just need the hose to arrive now.

Some other odds and ends here and there and then time for a test ride. Had it started when I was sorting out the wiring harness. Getting very close now. Jetting is about right. Which is to be expected since from the PE28 tuned for the Anima 190. Not a lot of change for the destroked Anima 150.

Attachments

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #109 (Edited)
https://youtu.be/sxspLuR6A8U
Down to the small stuff now. Road it around without front brake(still waiting on ferrules).

Riding the 150 anima after the 190 makes me want to get the crank to have a 127 anima. Rips.

Attachments

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #110 (Edited)
Front and rear brakes now! Wrapping up stage 2 of this build. Ready for AMA vintage days 2019

Update on the plan

Stage1 was completed 2018:
YX149cc
+3cm frame
+16cm swingarm
Tbparts fork kit
8" 8" solid rims
Old Z big drum brake
FMF4.1

Upgrades for stage2 2019:
Anima 150cc
Custom one off zoke fork kit
10"12" solid rims
Knock off ohlins shocks
BBR Anima skidplate
Downgrade to Tbparts/piranha tank and plastics before I destroy OEM setup
BBR shifter

Where I want to go stage3:
Add cradle to frame
Other frame gussets and reinforcements
Duals
Real Ohlins shocks
Modify rear hub for 6 sprocket studs
Rear disk brake

Stage4
Mod engine
Bling and refinement

Attachments

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
well I did a number on my shoulder and dislocated it. when I heal up I look forward to getting back onto this project. I want to get the cradle put on, gussets, and remove unneeded brackets. At least I got to enjoy the bike a little bit. Its moving in the right direction.

Reactions: TankTheory

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Winter surgery under way. Measured both bikes today both are capable of 45" wheelbase just barely.
+Have the BBR skidplates on so they can sit on the stands.
-+The rear tire on the Z only works on hard pack go figure.Took the tire under the knife to space the tread pattern out to see if some more intermediate traction can be found.
-Rear wheel bearing are out on the Z
+Was just going to replace wheel bearings but the spacer (Honda part) was junk too. Now I'm going to do 15mm wheel bearing/axle conversion for the rear.
- What to go down to the frame and remove/add brackets and get it painted but should do cradle and gussets before painting.
+rear disc brake conversion is up on the list. The rear drums take a fair amount maintenance to work well.

The Grind continues

Reactions: ioxide

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Works well and is a solid feeling tool. However its not as easy as you want it to be. Not a hot knife through butter. Just a hot knife through rubber.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Sure does look like it would work. Found these and pretty sure I did not post before. Hope the modded version works better. Big 10" pretending to be a 12"

·
Registered
519 Posts
Wow !!! … Serious rear tire change there. I guess it's all experimentation given that combo of wheels.

And can't wait for the next update. No doubt you will solve the traction mission, then it's a given what's next step is...
"It's all 'bout that base, 'bout that base, no trouble". Will be great to see when hooking up on all surfaces is dialled in, then you sort steering wise to get high speed stability and turning to a T. Given a 12" up front already and room to move your forks down in the clamps you are in a great position to sort out if that higher rear causes you to get twitchy in the front at high speed.

Well done !!!

101 - 116 of 116 Posts