PlanetMinis Forums banner

Run 8" rims or fat 10"/ Fat 12"

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
Got the longer swingarm with a chain adjust system I like more. The quality of then new +16cm swingarm seems pretty good. On the downside the shock mounts are further back on the swingarm which kept the back low. The changed shock angle also make the shock spring contact the exhaust when compressed past mid stroke. Will get new shocks and test fit. Likely cut and relocate swingarm mounts. The longer rear axle recommended for this swingarm fit perfect. Possible later modification will be to increase the swingarm pivot bolt diameter and reinforce the frame in this area.

The triple clamps I got to modify worked out so far. Bored the lower clamps to 48mm and ordered material to make an axle.

The hub will work with bearings changed to 15mm ID bearings and the bearing spacer cut out to 15mm as well. Will also be boring the hub ID, it was too small. The center bearing spacer could not be shifted off center to easily punch bearings out, going to made it so that is possible.

Looking into using a KTM 50 chain guide. One is pictured in the post above.

·
Registered
917 Posts
man your shipping cost...

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I will be raising the rear end which will effectively decrease the rake. Also note as it sits right now it has less rake than the 17' KTM 50 I have had in the shop for comparison. I don't think the rake is far from normal.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
The shipping is not too bad on most items. A couple people on the Facebook seem interested in triple clamps. The bearings and material for the axle should be in this week. I also ordered a used cr85 caliper to try to fit.

If you want to group buy to see if it saves on shipping let me know.

man your shipping cost...

·
Registered
917 Posts
Maybe I missed it but what gearing are you running for the 150, I was thinking of going to a 29 tooth in the rear. 1st isn't even ridable with 14/37. I might have a 15 I don't remember. Your disc 8" setup is making me jealous btw.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Maybe I missed it but what gearing are you running for the 150, I was thinking of going to a 29 tooth in the rear. 1st isn't even ridable with 14/37. I might have a 15 I don't remember. Your disc 8" setup is making me jealous btw.
Have not ridden enough to figure gearing out. I'll post it when I do.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
The Cr85 caliper fit like poop with the tiny disc on the zokes. The sliding pins for float are just in the wrong place. I got the caliper cheap and the condition was poor so I milled, hacked, and cut on it to try to make it fit but it just was not happening with the 160mm rotor. and the fat rims. I looked through old forum posts and found that STR made adpaters for cr85 calipers on zokes but for much larger rotor, I think it was for 220mm

I decided to buy a larger rotor and try to fit a 190mm on it. The size options I have found off the shelf for the NSR50 disc mounting pattern(which is what this hub has) are 160, 190, and 220mm.

Going to search a bit try to find a caliper that fits better. The 190mm rotor should help too if I can get the tire to clear and be centered in the forks.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
You could buy or machine a spacer to get the rotor closer to the fork leg. Brembo Crab calipers and Brembo 34mm calipers are somewhat compact and can be made to fit with a simple adapter made of 3/8" aluminum plate.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)
The issue right now is more the diameter of the rotor with the leading axle + fork diameter + the current mounts on clevis a non Formula caliper is really hard to get tucked in there. The spacing of the rotor to wheel and fork is okay and I have additional spacers if I need them. The brembo crab 84mm center to center mount caliper may be small enough and I plan to use one of those on the rear. I was hoping to get a floating front caliper to work up front.

190mm disc and another caliper to try is on the way now.
disc options
https://japan.webike.net/products/20957551.html
http://japan.webike.net/products/22897589.html
http://japan.webike.net/products/1469433.html

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Look what we have here!!
2_in box 2.jpg

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Did some work on the TBparts z50 fork kit.

Found out the steering head bearing does not fit the stem properly. The stem is undersize and doesn't fit 22.5mm ID bearing which is the size it comes with and standard z50 size. I ordered a cheap 22mm I'd bearing for a quick fix for that.

The other thing that bugged me with the kit was the brake anti rotation adapter being sloppy. With it the brake plate had a lot of movement and wined up do to multiple joints. I had the adapter welded to the brake plate to make similar to the original amount of rotation and wined up.

The other thing I didn't like was using the washers to space the wheel and the axle being a bit too long, about 5mm. Made a spacer to weld to the brake plate and cut the axle down.

Don't know if I'll keep the TBparts fork kit or not but I wanted to get it finished as I didn't like how the kit fit out of the box.

There is one more thing I need to make to complete the kit and that is a set of brackets to mount the number plate of 88-99 Zs which the kit does not come with.

Kit upgrades:
+Bearing that actually fits the stem
+Brake plate with adapters made onto it
+Axle cut to length needed
+Brackets for number plate (pending)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
If you are planning to run drums up front, I’d opt for a longer brake arm for better leverage/braking. If you could get it to work with your custom setup that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
There is one more thing I need to make to complete the kit and that is a set of brackets to mount the number plate of 88-99 Zs which the kit does not come with
You are so right. Too bad there isn't a plate mounting bracket in the kit. Let us know what you come up with.
tmas
I will hack something together ugly. But, I have been meaning to find a reason to learn the sheet metal/stamping package in the CAD software at work. If I do that I have a friend with a new startup business doing waterjet and laser cutting work, he has been doing a lot of custom grill replacement inserts for Jeeps.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
If you are planning to run drums up front, I’d opt for a longer brake arm for better leverage/braking. If you could get it to work with your custom setup that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I was thinking about it. If I did go extended I'd prolly cut and extend it instead of buying the Taki arm. Not sure if the Taki one is the only available have not checked. I don't know if I will end up using the TBparts fork kit at all. I'm pretty much going down the zokes path with front and rear disc brakes. I would just put the TBparts fork kit on my other frame but I want to do a stock mod with stock upper fork tubes.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
54mm cylinder for my other Honda based engine. And my cheap levers for the now

Attachments

61 - 80 of 116 Posts