PlanetMinis Forums banner

Run 8" rims or fat 10"/ Fat 12"

z50r Moto Build Up yx160,zokes,+3cm frame,+16cm swingarm, and more

31K views 117 replies 18 participants last post by  66Cooper 
#1 · (Edited)
So I can't stand it anymore and have to start documenting my up coming build. Zokes,frame,swingarm,yx160 are all in the mail in transit to me now.

Its going to be a slow build I think because I have moved to suburbia and no longer have access to a machine shop/welding shop like I used to.

I don't believe anything I'm doing will be ground break. I'm late enough to the game others have paved the way for me.

Here Is a picture of the bike about where I started at. I took it all apart and parted out everything I'm not using.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motorsport

I kept the bars, gastank, seat, plastic, frame, bolts, chain, and sprockets basically not much of anything.

Parts that left/are leaving. I am also selling a 2004 Xtreme CR107 for a little of the money for this build.

Auto part

So far the parts I have coming.

Minimoto +3cm frame
Minimoto +10cm swingarm
Minimoto Rim supports
Zokes 35mm front end Used * changed to TBparts Z50 kit for now
YX160 new style used * YX149cc honda style engine going in now

Auto part Machine Metal

Going to run z50 rims so I will have to sort out the wide triples and front disc like has been done in the past (STR z50 build). The Zokes I bought are old style and I plan to upgrade then with an aftermarket kit. I might also have the forks shortened 1/2-1" to keep the bike small. I plan to mock the bike up and pick my fork length and shock length then, I can order a set of custom built shocks for it.

I have been reverse engineering the stock z50 hubs I use (older style big drums) so that after I have my forks in and triple clamps that work I can redesign the hub for a disc and turn out a billet hub. The Minimoto disc front hub is ~$90 and I dont like it.
Machine

I hope it all comes together.

I'm going to get a solid roller together then move to the engine build which will also be a lot of fun.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice! This is almost exactly what I have planned for my future Z down the road. Cant wait to see the finished Z!

#3 ·
Thanks.

I have wanted to do this since the mid-late 90s the hardware that is available has changed so I update my wishlist in my head.

I am on the fence for what rear brake to run. I have 2 options in mind. I will either run the larger early z50 hub with large drum brakes(The EZ route and I think they work really well) or make a billet hub design to match my front hub and go disc brake on the rear. If I go disc I would mount the master cylinder inboard of the swingarm on a frame bracket. I just do not care for the type that mounts on the outside of the swingarm(like a reeg kit). I'm not sure if its a completely safe location on the outside or not but I just personally don't like how it looks there, their hardware, bracket, etc are beautiful I just don't dig the look at that location.

Open to suggestions to make the bike better. I do want to keep the bike as small as I can. I am not fancy to the Midsize with tiny wheels look.

#5 ·
I got some parts in today and started to mock them up on the bike to see then sorta in place. I was gone all weekend seeing family so no work was done then and I'm still waiting on parts for the most part.

I received:
used old style 35mm zoke front end
used/some new basket case yx160 motor

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Now its time to get the triple clamps I need or make a custom design. After the swing-arm comes in I can get the bike measured for the rear shocks.

One cool thing I have already measured is that I can used the Marzocchi front disc rotor for my front hub design.

#7 ·
It will be different. He used a stock hub and modified the drum area for his billet brake rotor holder. I plan to just turn out a whole new hub. g-craft makes some but are really expensive and designed to work with their own parts. I can't move forward on it until I get a set of triple clamps that are wide enough. I have all the pics I know of of the str build saved for reference and several other Zs.

#8 ·
I see, I was wondering about making an entire new hub. That makes sense if you have the ability/machinery. If i was looking at turning off a set of "one-off" hubs I would try to add more material around wheel hub bolt circle on the disk brake side. My thinking is you could sandwich the wheel in between two hub halves instead of the bolts only going through the wheel and into one half of the hub (not sure if that make sense when you read it). Keep up the good work!

#9 ·
box of parts was waiting for me at the post office...

Box Auto part Carton Vehicle
Box Carton
Auto part
Plastic wrap Box Transparency Plastic Plastic bag
Plastic bottle Bottle Glass bottle Mineral Drinkware

#10 ·
Man I'm so jealous, looks good already! What shocks are you thinking about? I've looked into works and elka they said they can custom make shocks.

#12 · (Edited)
I was trying to post real quick together and you split my posts. (shakes fist) :D

#11 · (Edited)
I really am glad I found this swingarm. I like the look. Time will tell how it holds up.

Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Auto part Tire Wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Tire All-terrain vehicle Automotive tire

How it would sit with 330mm shocks
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

and 300mm shocks
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

I'm going to check from the shock builder what the pros and cons of having a 300-330mm adjustable length shock is. The front tire is smaller than the one I will run. ~10mm drop in the front now.

#13 ·
As for what shocks i'm planning to use I do not want to get in trouble for advertising b/c the US part of the company is owned by my father. They mostly are a distributor for shock parts to dealers/OEMs. I will ask a MOD here about telling the name.

#14 · (Edited)
Here is a pic of the stock/mod swingarm I had before you can see the stock length and the extention I have on it was ~2.75-3inches over the stock length. The aluminum swingarm is a +10cm.

Vehicle Bicycle drivetrain part Tire Mountain bike Crankset

Not the best measurement b/c its adjusted somewhere in the middle of the chain adjustment.
Auto part Measuring instrument

I'm not sure if the chain adjusters will hold up. In the past I have had several bikes with 6mm forward facing adjusters and the pull of the drive chain pulls the wheel forward and the little 6mm bolt bends
Tire Wheel Auto part Vehicle Automotive wheel system
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

The width bellow is a little thinner than the stock parts. Too much thread sticking out. Thick, hard washers on both sides will solve this.
Sewing machine

#15 ·
The center to center for the crf50 35mm zokes is 150mm the best I can tell with a tape measure.
Wire Electronics Technology Cable Electrical wiring

From the notes that I have. I want the distance between the fork tubes at the tire clearance area to be ~140mm(not the fork center to center).

#16 · (Edited)
The shocks I am going to have made will be from CSR Suspension. http://www.csrsuspension.com. Not a lot on the website, but enough to get an idea. Its going to be like being in a candy store picking the parts for my shocks. Also going to test out a cartridge kit to convert the old style zokes to have comp and rebound in both legs if they can piece one together for me.

Tool Metal

#17 ·
I love seeing more people using 3D design programs in the mini world. Ive made some valve covers, and a few other parts for the mini using the Haas and Solidworks at my school. This has to be one of the craziest Z's I have seen in a while. Good work.

#18 ·
If anyone could measure the triple clamp center to center for the forks from a Piranha CRF50 triple clamp I would appreciate it.

Link to the clamps I'm talking about.
Piranha CRF50 Clamps Adjustable

#19 ·
Had 30 minutes on the mill today which included removing what was setup in the mill, doing my work, and setting it back to how it was for the real job its setup for.

Thought I would start fixing the clutch cover I have.
Machine tool Machine Auto part Tool accessory
Machine Metal
Product Auto part Machine Metal Engine

If you think you see an RPK receiver in the background SHHHHHH

#20 ·
I see a mirror image of the real thing but my girlfriend tells me they are not the same. CAD model is a modified cylinder though that is different.
Product Auto part

#21 ·
I received the 175mm spaced triple clamps that tbolt had. No stem yet or bar clamps. Trying to get out them what these are for so I could order them again and for all of you to know. they look very similar to the piranha triples just a bit wider.
Tire Bicycle wheel Automotive tire Bicycle part Bicycle fork

Yes that is the marzocchi triple clamp and stem threaded through the new clamps to see how the tire spacing is
Tire Bicycle part Automotive tire Auto part Bicycle wheel
Machine Scientific instrument Small appliance

Steering stop is not right so I will have to modify something there.

I think the spacing is going to work. Would like another 5mm but this will do.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Auto part Tread

Reactions: mactech
#23 ·
I have considered it but if there are some available already in the 100-200 range its worth it to buy. I believe that STR was able to get a set of triples in this width that had the right steering stops(I can see the stops in some of his pictures). Save the custom triple clamp designing for the speed forks I for some reason just bought.

On another note I got a V2 head in
Helmet Personal protective equipment Games Sports gear Headgear

#24 ·
I pressed the stem out of the marz crf50 clamps and it can be put into the wide clamps I got from tbolt but will require a little machine work on the wide clamps to make it fit the stem properly. The clamps and stem are off at the machine shop getting fitted now.

Also dropped the forks off to be serviced and looked at to order updated internals.

#25 ·
Speedforks I just received in case I end up going this route. Triple clamp for this is super simple and can use aftermarket top clamps.

Floor Flooring Room Table

#27 · (Edited)
The speed forks are super narrow. No chance for hogs. They are the stock crf50 triple clamps spacing and bigger diameter forks so they have less space than stock CRF50 forks. Triple clamp could be super simple to replace with a wider lower. I have parts out getting worked on so its a waiting game right now. Just bench racing different ideas at the moment.

I warned I would be slow building it. I have wanted to build this since about 1998. By comparison of how long it took me to get out of the want to phase I'm moving at a blistering pace :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.