PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
Need some advice on a new build im thinking about doing, I always played with hard tails, now that im working on a new engine build I don't want to dismantle my hard tail for a new engine when I have a rebuilt one in it already and its running great, so im thinking about redoing my 84 Z50R , im thinking about doing longer forks, swingarm, shocks rims and tires, I have seen it on here before but really never paid attention , I know there is some kind of combination of different parts that work , can someone lead me in the right direction to what's needed and what's not needed, and where to look for what's needed, I would like to find good used parts i don't need everything new, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,971 Posts
I have a personal preference for:
1. XR75 or early '80's XR80 swingarm (4" longer) and 330mm rear shocks
2. HD+1" front forks with stock or HD springs
3.Carlisle 4.80-8 Sno Hawgs for off road, and a couple of different brands of scooter tires for pavement.
4. I've also used stock 10" CT70 and ZB50 wheels with street tires

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a personal preference for:
1. XR75 or early '80's XR80 swingarm (4" longer) and 330mm rear shocks
2. HD+1" front forks with stock or HD springs
3.Carlisle 4.80-8 Sno Hawgs for off road, and a couple of different brands of scooter tires for pavement.
4. I've also used stock 10" CT70 and ZB50 wheels with street tires
Would that be any XR75 swingarm ? and rear shocks and forks will that be off a different model ? just trying to figure out a starting point on where to start looking ? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,971 Posts
Yes, any year XR75 swingarm will work, along with any SL or XL70 swingarm as well. The 330mm shocks are from TB Parts but I don't see them on their site. The +1 forks and HD springs are the aftermarket ones for an XR/CRF50, they slide right in place in the Z50R fork uppers.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The Piranha +1 hd forks for the crf50 are a cheap and easy front upgrade. Just have to remove the C clip that holds them in the crf tubes and swap them into the z50 fork tubes. The Piranha fork bushings are slightly larger too so it makes it a little harder swapping them in but worth it since it eats up that forward and backward slop they all have. Also has the mounts for the fork gurads on them so it looks pretty cool.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I used an sl 70 swing arm. Made new tabs for the shock location to keep the angle of the shocks closer to the stock angle.

1.25" taller forks from CHP

Bbr front springs with delron bushings

4x8 tires

And lots more

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone
Need some advice on a new build im thinking about doing, I always played with hard tails, now that im working on a new engine build I don't want to dismantle my hard tail for a new engine when I have a rebuilt one in it already and its running great, so im thinking about redoing my 84 Z50R , im thinking about doing longer forks, swingarm, shocks rims and tires, I have seen it on here before but really never paid attention , I know there is some kind of combination of different parts that work , can someone lead me in the right direction to what's needed and what's not needed, and where to look for what's needed, I would like to find good used parts i don't need everything new, any help would be appreciated. Thanks
If you have a stock cylinder I would recommend getting a tbolt 88cc big bore with a high flow oil pump as well as an oil cooler. I have done this to my 1975 Honda z50 and it really woke it up. Just waiting on bigger carb

1 - 10 of 10 Posts