PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea if the hardware that came with this project when I took it apart was the correct hardware.
I have seen 2 different diagrams online of what stacks on top of the top race:

Font Auto part Cylinder Engineering Automotive engine part

I think I have hardware for the version on the right (basically a single piece steering head top (#7) instead of parts 9&11).
I have 2 different options, one that came with the bike and one that I found on ebay. However, neither piece gives the right height for the triple tree to mount flat to the steering stem and the forks. One is too long, one too short. Am I missing something here?
Additionally, looking at the diagram above, I did not have a lower race as a separate piece, it was part of the forks. Maybe my forks are from a different model, and things are not stacking up right? Here is a pic of the bottom:

Wood Dishware Drinkware Gas Serveware

Here is a pic of the top of my hardware, with the two options that I have for the steering head top:

Bicycle part Engineering Gas Auto part Cylinder

I realize I could stack washers or make a spacer to get the triple tree to mount up level, but I have tried to be as true to original as possible through this restoration and would like to get it as close to stock as possible.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
I have no idea if the hardware that came with this project when I took it apart was the correct hardware.
I have seen 2 different diagrams online of what stacks on top of the top race:

View attachment 277477

I think I have hardware for the version on the right (basically a single piece steering head top (#7) instead of parts 9&11).
I have 2 different options, one that came with the bike and one that I found on ebay. However, neither piece gives the right height for the triple tree to mount flat to the steering stem and the forks. One is too long, one too short. Am I missing something here?
Additionally, looking at the diagram above, I did not have a lower race as a separate piece, it was part of the forks. Maybe my forks are from a different model, and things are not stacking up right? Here is a pic of the bottom:

View attachment 277478

Here is a pic of the top of my hardware, with the two options that I have for the steering head top:

View attachment 277479

I realize I could stack washers or make a spacer to get the triple tree to mount up level, but I have tried to be as true to original as possible through this restoration and would like to get it as close to stock as possible.

Thanks in advance.
looks like you have the correct hardware for the bike in your hand in the last picture. In the picture it is upside down.The small lip on the top end goes inside the top triple clamp hole to keep it from sliding around. The Honda diagram appears to show the set-up that was on the earlier (68 and early 69) bikes. To be honest, I am not familiar with the nut you have threaded on your bike in that last picture, but maybe someone else here recognizes it.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
The lower race is NOT part of the triple tree. It just fits snug on at the bottom...the triple tree has a shoulder at the bottom...inch maybe, of the stem, for that race. Yours looks like it's gonna be glued on with some paint too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
looks like you have the correct hardware for the bike in your hand in the last picture. In the picture it is upside down.The small lip on the top end goes inside the top triple clamp hole to keep it from sliding around. The Honda diagram appears to show the set-up that was on the earlier (68 and early 69) bikes. To be honest, I am not familiar with the nut you have threaded on your bike in that last picture, but maybe someone else here recognizes it.
Thanks!

Flipping that one over and engaging the lip with the triple clamp worked. Things line up much better.
Unfortunately someone really chewed that one up so it doesn't look that great, have not been able to find a replacement (the one threaded on was from ebay, I thought it was going to be a replacement but turned out different).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the middle picture it looks as though the lower bearing race (part #6 in the first photo) is upside down on the steering stem, as well
I wasn't sure about this. That piece was never removed, the painter didn't mask it that well, either.
It looks pretty symmetric; the portion facing up as installed has the right curve and works perfectly with the bearings, the steering is very smooth and seems correct.
It is what was on the fork when I disassembled the bike. I don't know for sure that it is the correct part.
I may leave it since it functions well and I'd rather not disassemble all those bearings again...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts