PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just completed my little collection of Honda with a z50a to be restored. I have a Dax ST70 1988 European (bought when i was in France 20 years ago) and a Japanese ST50 1995 i bought when i was living in Japan 10 years ago.

There s definitely a lot of work to be done on this z50 and parts to find. this week end I am going to try to get the engine running. There s no gas in the tank.
Do you have any advices about what to clean (gas tank, filter, carbu..) before i put gas and try to start ?

I attached picture, and will try to keep on posting new ones along the restoration.

Thanks !

Attachments

·
Registered
1972 Honda Z50
50 Posts
I have seen far worse. this is a great forum with lots of helpful people. Good luck with your build

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i tried to get the engine running yesterday. I put gas in the tank, kicked and nothing happened.
I took off the spark, and there s no sparks.
I checked the wire before the ignition coil, and there s a spark here !

Does that means the stator is working ?

My guess is either the spark or the ignition coil is down.

waiting for a new spark to be delivered

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok i did the spark and the plug, and I have a spark ! But the bike do not start. Anything i should check ?

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
If the carb has not been cleaned, start there, paying attention to the float valve needle, pilot jet and main jet. Everything should be given a long soak in carb cleaner solvent. The pilot jet can be cleaned with a small guitar string. There are holes in the side of the jet that must also be cleared. Blow compressed air through the pilot jet circuit with the air screw pulled out. The main jet and needle should also be examined for any varnish.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am trying to take off the left cover. I think this has never been removed, and it is impossible to remove the screws. What tool would you recommend, i am thinking impact screwdriver, what are your thoughts ? any tool to recommend ?

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
I am trying to take off the left cover. I think this has never been removed, and it is impossible to remove the screws. What tool would you recommend, i am thinking impact screwdriver, what are your thoughts ? any tool to recommend ?
The tool you need is either a #3 impact bit in an impact driver, or a JIS #3 driver. The screws are all JIS on the Hondas, and a regular Phillips bit will slip out. It is really helpful if you can brace the bike firmly and use a lot of pressure on the driver to keep it from slipping out. I have a high success rate with a #3 impact bit and battery powered impact driver. It works well and does not damage the screw heads. If you strip it out, a 1/4" drill can be used. Drill till the head comes off, and the remaining stud can be removed with vise grips or even your fingers once the cover is off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I cleaned up nicely the carburetor, and it was really dirty. How much shall i screw the air screw ?
i tried to start it, there s spark, it smells gas when i take off of the spark, but can not start. I ll check the points this week end.

thanks !

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
The air screw should be screwed all the way in, and then unscrewed 1 1/2 to 2 turns. The idle screw should be unscrewed till the slide is all the way down, and then screw it in till the slide just starts to rise.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, I finally did one out of two (I bought a second one for parts - seats and wheels), and it works like a charm !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts