PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,

I went to press out the swingarm bushings to install a new set. They wouldn’t budge. Years of heat and 40 coats of whatever paint you can imagine had them frozen. I applied light heat to swell the cylinder on the swingarm and then went to press them out. Turned out the rubber between sleeves just got soft and I ended up just pushing out the inner rubber and inner sleeve! Now I’m left with the outer sleeve of the bushing stuck in place and I can’t, for the life of me, figure out how to remove this last piece. I applied more heat with a map gas torch but that failed to loosen them. I’m afraid now will have to somehow cut them out.

Anyone run into this before? Any ideas as to how best to get these things out? Pic attached so y’all can see what I’m dealing with. This same thing happen to both sides! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Hi Gang,

I went to press out the swingarm bushings to install a new set. They wouldn’t budge. Years of heat and 40 coats of whatever paint you can imagine had them frozen. I applied light heat to swell the cylinder on the swingarm and then went to press them out. Turned out the rubber between sleeves just got soft and I ended up just pushing out the inner rubber and inner sleeve! Now I’m left with the outer sleeve of the bushing stuck in place and I can’t, for the life of me, figure out how to remove this last piece. I applied more heat with a map gas torch but that failed to loosen them. I’m afraid now will have to somehow cut them out.

Anyone run into this before? Any ideas as to how best to get these things out? Pic attached so y’all can see what I’m dealing with. This same thing happen to both sides! Thanks in advance!
Buy the Pivotworks swingarm bearing kit that includes the knock-out tool. And either press out, or beat it out. Plus the needle bearings are a huge upgrade.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
You can take a stout, sharp punch, or an awl and hammer and hit it right on the line between the two bushings, prying them apart. The inner metal is thin and will deform easily. I have tried the hacksaw, but it is easy to score the swingarm, so the punch method gets used when pressing them out does not work. Penetrating oil is also highly recommended in addition to the heat.

·
Registered
602 Posts
in my z50 build thread I posted a pic of how i got mine out. But I would use a socket that fits the metal part of the bushing and a c-clamp or press.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Buy the Pivotworks swingarm bearing kit that includes the knock-out tool. And either press out, or beat it out. Plus the needle bearings are a huge upgrade.
I ended up going with what Davmo suggested. Once I got a cut in the inner layer it split easily with a sharp screwdriver and I was able to peel that off/out.

Then I just found this the day after...lol.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I have used sockets before, but the problem was finding the one with a perfect diameter to push on the lip. That metal is pretty thin on the outer bushing, and I managed to jam a socket in one of them one time. Now I use a drift turned on the lathe to the right diameter, with a pilot that fits in the hole. Spray it with penetrating oil, hit it with a torch, open your vise just enough for the bushing to fit through, three whacks with a 2 1/2 pound sledge, and they are out. Works pretty regularly, but rusted ones are always harder.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have used sockets before, but the problem was finding the one with a perfect diameter to push on the lip. That metal is pretty thin on the outer bushing, and I managed to jam a socket in one of them one time. Now I use a drift turned on the lathe to the right diameter, with a pilot that fits in the hole. Spray it with penetrating oil, hit it with a torch, open your vise just enough for the bushing to fit through, three whacks with a 2 1/2 pound sledge, and they are out. Works pretty regularly, but rusted ones are always harder.
Same exact problem that caused me to push out the inner bushings! My sockets were not of the right tolerance to cover the lip of the bushing edge (and the sockets have a slightly rounded edge!) and that just pressed the inner rubber out and leave the outer bushing sleeve inside the swingarm.

Using thick, straight-edge, flat washers against the bushing edge should help.

This is where a more evolved monkey would make his own tool to circumvent this problem...but I am not that monkey. Still eating crayons over here. 🤣

·
Registered
153 Posts
Davmo do you have the OD of you machined tool so we can measure the OD of some sockets to see if we have one that would match?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts