PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any advice on how to solve this issue.

1973 Z50 k4 - always ran great when put into storage. Sat for 6 years in the garage. Took out of storage this spring, would start and idle but bogged and would stall under load once in gear.
I took the carburetor off and the slide was all gummed up, and the throttle cable was hanging on by 2 threads. I replaced the cable (that was a job, ordered two oem cables and both of them were so short I had to cut the brass part off the top of the carburetor to get enough slack in the cable). I also replaced the carburetor with an aftermarket stock reproduction carb from PhatMX.
Same problem. Starts and idles, but bogs under load. I played with the carb, started the mixture screw at 1.5 out and went from there, nothing made much of a difference.
I spoke to a mechanic who works on a lot of CT70's and he said that the spark arrestors in the muffler can become clogged leading to the bike stalling out under load, and I haven't ran the bike without a muffler yet to test this, but are there any other things to look out for that could be an issue? Gas is fresh, oil is fresh, plug is new, just bogging under load.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
3,298 Posts
If you replaced the carb with a new carb and had the same result than not a carb issue.
Try adjusting your intake valve. Then always tighten up over time.

Clean the points as well. Will corrode from sitting especially if not in a controlled environment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Didn't even think about the points, I'll check those out today. Is there a thread on here about adjusting the intake valve or would you be able to give me some help with how to do that?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent. Thanks a million. I'll let you guys know the outcome of what happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts