PlanetMinis Forums banner

Do you like seeing Davmos Z50 build progress regularly?

121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 · (Edited)
Some more work done on this build. Putting a low fender on a Z50 means it has to be hooked to the lower fork extensions, so I made this steel mount that acts as a fork brace and has brackets for a Takegawa external fork damper.

The brackets for the fork damper are on both sides, but I probably will use just one...it is a little easier to cut off an unused bracket than to add one later. The axle spacers are part of the bracket, and make wheel removal and install super easy. The axle holds everything in place, and recesses on the lower part keep it from spinning, as does the post for the brake panel stop, which passes between the two rods.

The brace pretty much disappears when it is on the bike.

Other changes include tethers like the ones used for Z50R front number plates that were added to secure the front fairing better, and 1969 Z50 tank badges. Some bungs for the badge screws were pressed into the tank and soldered, and then the tank was sealed with epoxy.

Some process pics.

At this stage, the basic form is starting to take shape after several rounds of hammering with a plastic hammer on a shot bag, smoothing on an English wheel, shrinking along the edges wiht a Jet Tools shrinker/stretcher, and then heated till annealed. Probably five rounds to get it totally done.

·
Registered
1972 Honda Z50A, 1976 Honda 90, 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2012 Triumph Bonneville
61 Posts
Before I had a lathe, I would take a grade 2 carriage bolt and chuck it up in the drill press, turn at low speed and shape with a file. Surprising how quickly it can be done. Just find a bolt around the same diameter (off the top of my head, want to say an 8mm is the right size,) and shape it with the file, then cut it so there is about 1/8" sticking past the back of the mount, and weld in place. When you weld it in, the side stand should be held in place firmly by the pin, but be careful not to make it too tight. I made the mistake of using a clamp to hold the pin in place firmly, and when the metal contracted after it cooled down, the stand was crazy tight to the point it had to be re-done.
That will work! I'll do some fabricating! Thanks

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Latest round of pictures. Found an amber yellow windscreen, put the Takegawa fork dampers on, made a belly pan and a guard for the oil cooler. The belly pan has a long single bolt in front, and a quarter-turn latch in back holding it on, and comes off quickly, without tools. The mount for it is rubber isolated. A lot of parts were drilled for safety wire and wired up.

121 - 130 of 130 Posts