PlanetMinis Forums banner

Do you like seeing Davmos Z50 build progress regularly?

101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
I wish I had your fabrication abilities.
Thanks, man. I always tell people the same thing: aside from metal shop in high school, no formal training, just learning by trial and error with advice from anywhere I can find it. It may be discouraging at first, but if you keep at it, you will be surprised by how much you can learn by the time you hit my age (if you are curious, my age is the number on this bike.) There is sort of a multiplying effect as you learn more skills, where something you learned elsewhere will apply to a new skill, and make it where you pick it up quicker. Start small, but always challenge yourself to get out of your comfort zone a little and learn something new.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Hope your surviving the storm..... Good luck to you all
Storm? was there a storm? Haha. We are starting to thaw out a little today, but a few more days till it is consistently above freezing. Thanks for the well wishes. Some more mods on the bike, I will add more details on the changes later.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Some of the recent mods aside from the obvious paint. A cradle mount was made for the engine. The cross tubes are fairly thin walled, so it is lighter than it looks. It was extended a little past the mounting holes to act as a bash plate, and make a place for a possible future belly pan to hook onto.

One of the tubes on the cradle has been drilled out to make a mounting point for a track stand and a removable kickstand mount. The kickstand mount is barely visible in the last post. The swing arm was also worked on, with some unused tabs stripped off, new bushings, and the rear brake post welded in.

If you do a cradle mount, either the cradle or the left engine mount need to be removable to get the engine in and out of the frame without removing the clutch cover. This grunge-pot of an engine is a mock-up one made of all crap parts.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
More details.

Kind of hard to see, but two small pieces of metal were added to the right foot peg base, and on the brake pedal. They are made to make the brake pedal go down enough for the kickstart to miss hitting it.. It works when the peg is completely folded.

This is the removable kickstand mount. It is held in place by a single bolt, and comes off in seconds.

With the kick stand installed, the mounting bolt can be seen just forward of the mount. A Takegawa forged aluminum stand was used.

Got some neoprene foam for the seat pad. there will probably be a snap-on cover that goes over it. The backside of all the body parts and inner fender were painted black, as well as the panel on the rear cover.

101 - 106 of 106 Posts