PlanetMinis Forums banner

Do you like seeing Davmos Z50 build progress regularly?

81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Digging the funky yellow windscreen!
Yeah! Tried to find green, but all the ones I found were really expensive or have black coloring on the part of the screen that I needed. Something vintage, cool, and funky about colored windshields and headlights. I was trying for an old school yellow, but when it arrived it was a little too neon. Its growing on me, but may still look for the plain yellow.

·
Registered
590 Posts
So much awesome. The fairing is perfect. It fits so tight to the forks, + the 1/4 turns.

The exhaust and the heat shields I also love!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
So much awesome. The fairing is perfect. It fits so tight to the forks, + the 1/4 turns.

The exhaust and the heat shields I also love!

Thanks, man! It took a while to build the fairing. Originally it was planned to extend a little past the forks, but it just looked better narrowed out and tight to the front. With the quarter turns the fairing comes off in seconds. The heat shields are from a 1970 CT70, and the one in the rear is a must, as your heel can touch it pretty easy.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I look at it from one angle and it’s a little “Mad Max” like. Than another and it’s ”motard“ and another “cafe racer”.

very well done

·
Registered
590 Posts
The blinkers and taillight are very sano. Almost missed the front. I would love to see images of everything illuminated.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
I look at it from one angle and it’s a little “Mad Max” like. Than another and it’s ”motard“ and another “cafe racer”.

very well done
The blinkers and taillight are very sano. Almost missed the front. I would love to see images of everything illuminated.

Thanks, guys! There were moments I wasn't sure it would all work together...maybe it doesn't! haha. Some of the stuff felt a little too finished to go with the more raw pieces. Thinking the paint will help tie it together a little. Going to try to keep the paint a little raw, and not too slick, with some stripes, numbers, and colored panels. The side covers were intended to be number plates from the start and will be hand painted. The signals were not really needed, but with the battery already on board and the extra tail lights, why not? As soon as I get it running I will get some pics of it lit up.

·
Super Moderator
11,023 Posts
Looks great Davmo. :cool:Thats a pretty interesting rear brake set up.(y) keep the pics coming.
tmas

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Looks great Davmo. :cool:Thats a pretty interesting rear brake set up.(y) keep the pics coming.
tmas
I still have to make one more mod on the brake set-up, where it pushes the brake pedal down slightly when the footpeg is up. Right now, the kicker scrapes the brake pedal barely, and a little nudge should get it out of the way.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
That bike is awesome from every angle. But I especially like the views from the rear. Your taillight is very cool.
If I got behind it, I'd be looking for a way to see the rest of it.
Very nice job. I'm looking forward to the next round of pics.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
That bike is awesome from every angle. But I especially like the views from the rear. Your taillight is very cool.
If I got behind it, I'd be looking for a way to see the rest of it.
Very nice job. I'm looking forward to the next round of pics.
Thanks, Kirrbby!

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Fun with electrical tape. The plan was a dual stripe, nothing fancy, black trim at the bottom of the tank where the bare metal is, some numbers and stripes on the side panels, and some little blocks of color (probably a light blue.) The blocks of color are the only thing I am debating other than doing the lines offset to one side.

The side covers will be hand painted, Trying to keep some funkiness using circus numbers.
I have to admit the chain guard is not my favorite and might look better in black (if the chain guard has been hurting your eyes, its okay to say so, LOL.) Because of the rear-set pegs, a chain guard is a must. If painting it doesn't help, another on might get made.

Probably going to go with slightly wider stripes with less space in between.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 · (Edited)
Some unrelated stuff I wanted to share. Don't know why it took me this long to figure this out, but finally came up with a tool helpful when putting new sheathing on a wire harness. A simple piece of thin rod with male and female wire connectors soldered to each end. Makes it super easy to pull wires with connectors still attached through the sheathing. The other thing about using it is that as you pull the wires through, they stay really straight in the sheathing. If you have ever tried to push wires through sheathing, twisted wires make it really hard to get another wire into the sheath, while straight ones help guide the following ones through.

Some pics of the ST90 that was getting the front sheathing replaced, along with some restoration work.

Some before and after pics. My buddy brought this bike by a few weeks ago for a basic carb clean, rear signals, and some rear shocks, but I talked him into doing some restoration of a few parts and finishes to freshen it up a little. The black parts got painted, some hardware was replated, and all the rubber was replaced.

Another one that came through recently for a new muffler and 88cc upgrade. I have cut back on doing revivals on bikes, but this particular bike had been worked on by two of my buddies and still could not be made to run right, so I agreed to take the challenge. It was running when it came, pulling pretty hard at low speeds, just crapping out at WOT. One of the obvious problems was a tiny z50 header pipe that had been welded on to the muffler. After all the basic stuff like setting timing, valves (the exhaust valve was leaking slightly,) moving the carb needle, it was still running the same. When the main jet was pulled, it was incredibly small. The spark plug was completely clean, indicating a lean condition. Multiple jet changes, then a new carb followed by two more carbs, followed by a completely new top end and larger muffler, and now it won't even start. New coil, points, condensed, spark plug, spark cap, still will run only about five seconds at best. At this point, I am about to go crazy figuring out how a bike that ran fairly well is now barely running with most everything replaced. I even tried a second HondaTB race head, but still nothing. In the end, it was a bad stator, producing just enough spark that it could only run under special conditions. High compression and too much gas can both extinguish a spark, and this spark was so weak, once the new carb and top end were installed, it was game over. Interestingly, once the stator coils were removed, I noticed some of the reddish-brown lacquer used to insulate the coil wires was thick and boogered up toward the bottom of the coil. Also noticed the color of the coil insulation was really faded. Pretty sure the problem was dripping gas from a loose gas hose that dissolved the insulation enough that the spark was weakened. Somewhere on the site someone recently mentioned occasional problems with CT70 stator coils. There does not seem to be the same problem reported with Z50 stators, though they are identical and produced on the same assembly line. I now have a theory: CT70's have a longer intake that causes any leaking gas to drip right above the stator, whereas Z50's with a shorter intake will drip it on the cylinder!

Lastly, one of the earliest CT's I ever bought got pulled out and ridden while my daughter was visiting at Christmas.

81 - 100 of 130 Posts