PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, this is what has been going on around here. Three soft tail builds, six engine restorations, tons of cleaning, painting, and restoring/modifying. Still waiting on some parts, but as you can see, they are getting close. The blue and yellow ones have extended swingarms, alloy wheels, 108cc stroker engines with heavy duty clutches, and the yellow one got a 4 speed tranny. The two bottom ends are stock restorations waiting on the cylinders and heads. Hardware and chrome pieces have been re-plated, and all rubber, bearings, gaskets and seals are new. More to come.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW that’s a lot of parts!

where do you get handle bars from? CHP has been out for a while.
They are re-chromed originals on two of them and a pair from dratv. The dratv ones do not fit the stock bar clamp. You have to grind a quarter inch off the end to make them work.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those bikes are lookin fantastic davmo!
You should get a job doin this stuff!! 😁
Working on bikes all day long! One day I was having a hard time getting a big bike running right and was getting pissed until I realized I was riding down the street on a motorcycle for my job. I quit being pissed off.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Davmo, what approach do you take to removing swing arm bushings? I got a replacement for my damaged one and was looking at how people remove them. Seems the two socket approach with the threaded rod or bolt is one way do do it and not damage the swing arm.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I can assure you all they look fantastic. Nicer than stock ever was. Super nice attention to detail. Beautiful work David!! Always look forward to your build post!!! Keep sharing man.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Davmo, what approach do you take to removing swing arm bushings? I got a replacement for my damaged one and was looking at how people remove them. Seems the two socket approach with the threaded rod or bolt is one way do do it and not damage the swing arm.
I have a drift made specially to do the job with the same diameter as the bushing. It has a dowel in the center that fits the inside diameter of the bushing so it stays aligned. I use a socket on the other side and press it out in a heavy-duty vise. The socket and rod technique works as well, but both can fail with a rusted bushing. Not a bad idea to soak them with penetrating oil and use some heat to smooth out the extraction.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Six engines almost done, just waiting on parts to come back from plating. The sixth engine is a 108cc rolling rocker head.

The rear fender is spaced out with a bracket on top, and a spacer on the lower mount. With a 55mm extension on the swingarm, this makes it fit better.

Some of the ugly before on the stator. This was pretty typical. The ponts and condenser get replaced, some fresh cloth tape is used on the coils, new black sheathing, a new four prong plug and connectors, and a fresh grommet from Honda.

The rear fender extension bracket is 45mm long.

The bottom rear fender lower spacer, also 45mm.

Some of the wheels and hubs getting worked over.

A necklace I have been working on for my wife...just kidding. When blasting and wire wheeling the hardware, a coat hanger makes it a lot easier and faster.

Prior to powder coat. The difference between the two swingarm lengths can be seen.

The 1976 front fork legs were extended 30mm. Because these were fresh fork legs and the welded portion is concealed inside the fork, they did not have to be re-chromed.

The rear fender lower spacer and a pile of Honda spacers, grommets and washers needed to mount it. When you are buying the parts for 4 or 5 bikes, it adds up!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts