PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so theres is a z50 for sale for $450 id say its in very good condition needs nothing. i rode it and it was solid. has the spring in back.

are the z50 street legal?

top speed stock?

is this a good deal?

can a lifan be swaped fairly easy?

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Welcome to PM!

Its hard to say much about the price without a picture, but 300-500 is typically the market for a running Z in decent shape.

The answers to your questions are all listed in the previous posts.

Use the search function and type a few keywords for the answers you seek and boom- there they are.

From one obsessed mini guy to a potential newbie... its fun, they are never completely-completed and you may even consider a second mortgage to pay for that one ...last...parts order..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i still cant find a clear cut answer on the street legal part....any help??

(has not speedo)

i added a pic. the paints looks newish but is flakeing off the bottom of the tank. but it looks far nice enough for me id be riding not a showpiece.

my goal for the z50 is to put a lifan 110cc on it and new bars, so i might be better off trying to find a roller but in iowa there arnt to many.....

yeah i know what you mean ive been bite ive already got 2 compleat yamahoppers 2 parts and a atc70 and im only 20 ill have a diff vehical for every day of the month before to long

Attachments

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
ross93 said:

(has not speedo)

i added a pic. the paints looks newish but is flakeing off the bottom of the tank. but it looks far nice enough for me id be riding not a showpiece.

my goal for the z50 is to put a lifan 110cc on it and new bars, so i might be better off trying to find a roller but in iowa there arnt to many.....

yeah i know what you mean ive been bite ive already got 2 compleat yamahoppers 2 parts and a atc70 and im only 20 ill have a diff vehical for every day of the month before to long

that thing is CLEAN!!! you should buy it!! they are easily streetable

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
ross93 said:

(has not speedo)

It looks nice for the money, but GLUG is right, most states have different laws regarding the road use of these bikes. You will need a title or a bill of sale for sure- at the very least.

I would look for a 125cc since its not that much more, you will be happy you got the extra cc's if you register the bike.

You can repaint/powercoat these bikes for very little out of pocket so if there isnt any rust in the tank it should be easy to freshen up the look if that is what you are after.

I would also inspect the forks and frame to make sure this thing never kissed a tree or fence in the early years.. that is common. Crappy welds or bends mean you are better off looking elsewhere if you are just getting started in the build process.

Your starting young, so you may hit the "one ride per day" when it's all said and done.

Good luck and ask questions along the way; there are many more experienced builders who have already made the mistakes so you dont have to..

·
Registered
887 Posts
ross93 said:
Questions

are the z50 street legal?

As noted you will need a title to get it plated. Some states allow vehicles under 50cc (scooters) to run without plates, but I wouldn't reccommend this on a stock z50 because....

top speed stock?

It depends on your weight, but 25 to 30 mph maybe.

is this a good deal?

Yes, I've seen bikes in that condition on E-Bay going for more than that, not that E-Bay is a good pricing guide......I'm just saying.

can a lifan be swaped fairly easy?

Depends on what you mean by fairly. The mounting brackets will be the same, so that will be fairly easy. The CDI and 12 volt ignition seem to cause a lot issues and questions around here. Bear in mind that the system on that bike is only 6 volt stock so your bulbs will need to be replaced if you put a Lifan in there, not sure about the rest of the wiring. Personally, I would do a TB 88cc BBK with Race Head and keep the reliability of the Honda transmission if you need more power, but YMMV. I did the latter on mine and clocked it at 45 mph the other night and I'm 6'2" 200+lbs. Good enough for what I want it for.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the replys but it sold the next morning before i had a chance. if only i had $50 more with me.

but i notice it had 2 small dents on the gas tank looks of the funky handlebars hit it.

should there be a stop there?

did these z50's come with a on road title or off road title?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no he didnt have the title. when they were bought new did they come with a on or off road title?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts