PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve owned this bike for about 24 years. My dad brought it home when I was in high school and I re-built it. This thread is about it’s most recent incarnation...

Short Backstory
When dad pulled it out of the back of his Jeep sometime in the ‘90’s.

A 1976 Z50, did not run, but turned over in a very festive teal color. I striped it painted the teal to black and put an ATC 70cc top end and upper triple clamp from Bates salvage (if ya know you know) . “Big” carb off XR 80, intake from Sudco and a Supertrapp setup for a CT 70. Best part is one of my dad’s buddies had an original tank from a 75 model, sweet gift!

My buddies and I put a ton of hours on this little guy for years! I kept it all these years and rebuilt it again.

Here is what it looked like for years

·
Registered
1970 CT70
46 Posts
Awwww man that exhaust is a cool piece! In real nice shape fore a bike that I'm guessing had a hot supper or two ;).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well one more piece to the backstory...

I’ve had this motor under the bench for over 20 years and finally put parts of it to use.

This 1971 SL70 motor will donate its 4 speed manual gearbox, clutch, stator w/ advance and crankshaft.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you to Davmo for the tips on transmission build and use of the advancer(more on this later). Very kind of him to let me pick his brain for 30 min via phone call! Knowledgeable guy and gracious with his time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Chassis
Was going for a “Monster” stock look
  • Stock 50 frame powder coated black back in 90s (still looks great even after welding on new tank tabs and rattle canning😜 part of the back bone)
  • 3” extended swingarm (painted black)
  • KLX110 front end and clamps (painted black)
  • 330mm shocks
  • Stock rear fender
  • K1 re-pop front fender
  • Bigger stock look tires
  • Zinc plated (like grocery carts) stock wheels - did this back in 90s
  • 75 stock tank
  • VW bug seat material on seat

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Motor Build

• 88cc big bore
  • 20mm carb (have kehin and shyng wei)
  • re-pop stock 70cc head with big valves and a mild cam
  • New bearings (all)
  • 4 speed from SL70 (new shift forks, bearings and shift drum pins) Thank you Davmo for tips!!
  • Manual clutch from SL70
  • Crank with advancer on flywheel/stator
  • Takegawa z type exhaust (I like the stock ish look)
Parts from below, plus WeBike in Japan for the exhaust
Tbparts
DrATV
Tboltusa
CHPMotorsports

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It’s a runner

needs a bit more tuning. Once I get her dialed in I will give y’all some of my notes for whatever it’s worth. Also got lighting and “street legal” look coming.

·
Super Moderator
10,096 Posts
That's the TB Parts front forks assembly that uses the KLX 110 fork legs, correct?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's the TB Parts front forks assembly that uses the KLX 110 fork legs, correct?
That they are, very happy with the setup! Front brake “stop” for the backing plate will need a little mod or new stop machined to fully stabilize the backing plate, but not a big deal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
how did you do the chain roller?
Chain roller is just a universal roller from All Balls - Hit the frame with a punch where you want the roller and drill a hole the size of the through bolt. I also used a few washers between the frame and the roller to get it to hit the chain dead on. With the long swinger and shocks it was key to have the roller otherwise the chain would slap the cases/alt cover.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts