PlanetMinis Forums banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

· Registered
216 Posts
Anyone know what size tire you can fit on a Z50 wheel inside a CRF50 swingarm? 3.5" I'm confident will fit, but curious if I could fit a 4.00" inside the arm?

· Administrator
11,216 Posts
A 3.50 x 8 tire does fit, the 50 and 70 swingarm is the same width, they both use the same rear axle. The bike in THIS POST has 3.50 tires on it, and an XR70 swingarm.
You might want to keep tabs on that same thread, the Original Poster is planning on using 4.00 x 8s on his bike.
Quite possibly, the chain may hit the 4.00 sidewall

· Registered
216 Posts
Cool, I appreciate the info man! I actually ordered a set of 4.00 x 8 yesterday with hopes I can either figure a way to fit it on the stock 50 arm or if I need to I can find a used 70 arm. I should have waited, but got antsy. :)

EDIT: Well I guess a 70 arm isn't much different, if at all from a 50 arm? I didn't realize the guy in the other thread had an aftermarket arm. I guess I need to just wait till the 4.00 comes in and I can see if it'll fit or how I can fit it with a stock arm. Assuming it's going to be right at 1/4" wider on each side of the 4.00 tire, how close is your 3.50 tire to the chain now? thanks again for the info!

· Registered
947 Posts
Cool, I appreciate the info man! I actually ordered a set of 4.00 x 8 yesterday with hopes I can either figure a way to fit it on the stock 50 arm or if I need to I can find a used 70 arm. I should have waited, but got antsy. :)

EDIT: Well I guess a 70 arm isn't much different, if at all from a 50 arm? I didn't realize the guy in the other thread had an aftermarket arm. I guess I need to just wait till the 4.00 comes in and I can see if it'll fit or how I can fit it with a stock arm. Assuming it's going to be right at 1/4" wider on each side of the 4.00 tire, how close is your 3.50 tire to the chain now? thanks again for the info!
A 4.0 wide tire should clear fine ive got 3.5 rims and 120mm wide tires on my crf50 and chain clearance is good..

· Registered
216 Posts
A 4.0 wide tire should clear fine ive got 3.5 rims and 120mm wide tires on my crf50 and chain clearance is good..
Sweet, good to hear! Tire is due in Monday so I'll put it all together. Got the wheel, hub, brake and sprocket on bike now and all fits with a couple washers. :) Even use my 50stunt chain guard.

· Registered
216 Posts
I'm sure I'll figure it out Monday when I put the tire on, but I'm curious since I have time to ask... Which half of the Z50 wheel goes on what side? This is how I have it now and I think it's right, but wanted to ask since I have a few days before hand and would rather do the tire install once. Thanks!!

· Registered
216 Posts
That's sick man, looks fun!

I've been back and forth to go same route you did or go the 10" route... I almost bought the tires, but held off to see what the 10" wheel looks like. I have Z50 forks with a disc brake setup sitting on my floor right now and fixing to put those on to see how the wheel looks on the front and any clearance issues. Also have 50stunt triple on the way so I can run same bars I have now and I'll swap the HD springs and bushings to the Z50 before installing.

Here's some pictures of the Kitaco 2.5" wheel with a 120/70 Zippy tire on it. How it sits right now, the clearance between the tire and swingarm is VERY close, but I also have right at 1/2" worth of adjustability further back.... I"m still undecided on which size wheels I want, but pushing for 10" right now. It'll also allow me to run a disc brake on the rear later down the road if I wanted. Damn choices and I need to order something ASAP so I can get this stuff back together and try it out!

4.00x8 versus 120/70-10

· Registered
216 Posts
How much would it cost to make a nice street bike 50 with those bigger wheels
Wheels are the same size as stock, but mine has been street legal for past couple years and I've rocked the stock wheels till now. The only thing you need is DOT wheels, all lighting, horn and that's about it. Maybe couple hundred in costs for everything.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts