PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got a z50 rear wheel kicking around and from what i hear it fits without mods into a crf/xr swinger. the tire is much wider and the rim is solid (no spokes to break/get loose). has anyone done this mod? would it make circles harder?

· Registered
1,481 Posts
You can run a z50 rear wheel on a crf. I think you need to make one spacer, other than that its a direct swap. I bet you can run them tubeless if you run a bead of caulk between the 2 wheel halfs.

I was going to do this a while back but got my douglas wheels instead. The Z wheels are dirt cheap.

Not my bike.

· Registered
2,382 Posts
Yea man, CRF wheel is 180mm wide including spacers. Z50 wheel is only 168mm wide including spacers, so you need to add about a half inch of spacing to the wheel. EddieNewYork has tried it on his CRF50, so you could ask him which side he put the extra spacer on or if he needed to run two spacers. Circles are definately a bit harder on the 8" tires I had, but I am thinking with good 8" street tires it is probably not too bad.

· Administrator
11,216 Posts
tech1234 said:
dirtbkr188- what tire is that? what size?

is there a fitment issue with the stock swinger?

do you wheelie it, if so what do you think?
That is the same Kings Tire that you referenced above, Part #Z111. I didn't have a stock swingarm when I put the bike together, just the 70 one. I don't wheelie it, its a pavement/parking lot bike.

· Registered
305 Posts
dude that gonna be my next mods! z 50 chrome wheels with street tires! looks like a little tank! do they sell white walls for the zees?

also would i need crf70 front end or a z50 front end? im thinking i would like the 70 front more but i dont wanna make the bike look huge.

· Registered
947 Posts
at are you guys doing on the brake side, ive got some monkey wheels from a 2009 and brake hub is a far way in from the knob on the swingarm.. i did a quick measure of a Z50R wheel and it was exactly the same width.

would be nice to see more detailed photos either side of the hub.

· Registered
947 Posts
Never mind guys... i did some more measuring and the Z50J rims go straight on as well, the distance between the brake hub and the sproket are the same on CRF rim vs Z50J ... I thought i was going to have to make spacers up either side but its just the sprocket side needs the spacer.

· Registered
215 Posts
Randomly came across this in a google search and yeah I know I'm reviving it...

After making a ride with the NOLA Ruckus crew sunday and seeing all the fat tires, I'm itching to do one on my street legal CRF50. It appears from reading, I only need a Z50 wheel, hub, brake and a spacer... Right? Or does a CRF50 brake drum happen to fit on it? I'm also considering getting some knockoff wheels, hub and brake so I can get new stuff.

Any help, info or more pictures is appreciated!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts