PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
****UPDATED SEPTEMBER 20 --- NEW PICS ON PAGE 2******

I got this China Z50 copy at the RER Auction in Connecticut last November.

Initially I bought it for the tank and the headlight/speedo drive, but now I’ve decided to use it for a build instead of one of my Honda frames.

I’ve been playing around with the front end to see how low it can go. Currently its at the absolute lowest, with basically no travel at all. Its going to get raised back up another 2 inches so that I can maintain some travel. This will probably involve some custom made fork inners and chopped springs. (when I finish the fork mods I’ll post pics).

The standard shocks are 280mm, and so far I can’t find any 250mm china shocks, so I’ll probably end up modding these to get them down a bit (if you have any recommendation for cheap 250mm shocks that don’t cost as much as my house let me know)

I got the wheels off the evil Ebay, and also got some low low profile 90/65/8 tires for the rims (also off evil Ebay). For the price (approx $150 for both rims/tires/tubes) I couldn’t go wrong. Sure they might be copies of some million dollar wheel, and sure I might burn in hell for buying cheap Chinese knock-offs, but this is a mini bike afterall.

The rear sprocket was almost as big as the wheels so I grabbed one that’s smaller (think it was a spare for my Z50m) , and now you can see more of the wheel on that side.

I also swapped the seat for one of my new Z50 seats, because I hate the style of seat that was on it.

Plans / next steps.

-paint

-maybe a Chinese aluminum swingarm (+2) / and shorter shocks

-finish the fork modding (bring up the front a couple inches)

-Chinese 90cc 4spd auto (from one of my Chinese CT70’s)

-Chrome Honda fenders

-Turn signals

-Tail light

-Plate bracket

-Etc……

Like the rest of my bikes, I’d just like it to be plated / Low and slow, fast enough (and legal) to bomb around the suburbs and that’s all I need.

Thoughts, input, recommendations, ideas?

Flame suit is on

Cheers

Will

before

after

before

after

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Z said:
Standard Z50 shocks are 265mm.

I didn't know that, I thought they were 280?

Good to know

Thank you

(now I need to find a better shock in the stock (265MM) length)

W

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I like where you are going with this, but I would go ahead and raise the front up the 2 inches you mentioned...

Even if you only cruise, I can see a small bump in the road becoming a major hazzard in the future.

Nice start- I will be following this build for sure.

-HFM

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HondaFiddyMan said:
I like where you are going with this, but I would go ahead and raise the front up the 2 inches you mentioned...

Even if you only cruise, I can see a small bump in the road becoming a major hazzard in the future.

Nice start- I will be following this build for sure.

-HFM

Thanks

and yes I totally agree, there has to be some suspension travel maintained especially with the super short sidewall I've got.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
BTW-

I purchased a brand new pair of 82 Z50 rear shocks last summer and never used them after I went to an extended swing arm. They are perfect (black) and 265 mm. I will sell you the set for what I paid.

PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I like the super low stance. You should think about running some rearsets since you'll be dragging pegs all over the place. Mine did and it wasn't as low

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the input

As for the wheels, I've been watching them for sometime and I'm pretty much doing the build around the wheel and tire combo.

Rearsets are something I thought of, and yes its definetely going to be low (dragging the pegs). Only problem is, most rearsets (japanese at least) seem to be as much as a mortgage payment, and I'm just not going to consider that.

I've found some china ones on ebay that look decent, have to research them a bit more.

if I find the time next week I'm gonna swap over the drivetrain to see how it looks.

W

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
+1 on the rear sets from China.

If anyone can add a link to this thread for a good source on them please do.

I have seen some REALLY poor quality metals on some of the China sets and I don't want to rely on that for the pegs- scary.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Thanks. I have purchased from this site in the past - good seller.

These actually look okay and are better than the ones I have seen elsewhere.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
did some more mocking up

-put in a brand new 90cc china 4 spd auto (it came off a china bike that fell over on its maiden voyage)

-K1 hardtail front fender

-K2 hardtail front fender (in the rear)

-Mirrors (this one will be street titled)

I ordered some 255mm rear shocks that look really nice (don't remember if they were China or Taiwan??) off ebay.

I'm still planning on raising the front a bit and at the same time, lowering the fender so that it sits close to the wheel like it does now.

Gonna look at fitting a hardtail chain guard, or have one made that looks like it (will have to wait until the shocks come in to check for clearance)

The rear will sit down a bit once the shorter shocks are in.

Also, I have to figure out some cheap side panels because I don't like the open look underneath the seat.

thats about it for this update, lots more still to come.

Ordering the rearsets, some exhaust stuff, and decals this morning (all from china/taiwan).

Still thinking on the color / whatever it is, I want it to work well with the wheels and comlpement the wheels.

Cheers

Will

*****Updates August 23rd.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for the ideas, I also thought of leaving it yellow

as for the side panels, I saw those ones on ebay, are they the right ones for softails?

W

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
well since china seems to be only making copies of the softtails,I think it would be a safe bet they are for softtails but still ask them

1 - 20 of 66 Posts