PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's almost time to start wiring my latest project, a z50 K2 and a Lifan 125 engine

Parts I'm using: Lifan wiring harness, Lifan CDI, Trail Tech Regulator, K2 wiring harness, K2 Key/Ignition Switch, NO BATTERY.

I can figure out the wires to the CDI but I'm not sure what color on the key switch to splice the Black/White wire.

Also, I've got the White and Yellow lighting wires from the stator. How do I hook them to the regulator and the key switch and the head light?

I will be running the headlight and tail light from the key switch.

Thanks for helping me with this.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Subscribed

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jon helped me out a lot when I did my ct70. His diagram using the clone engine shows a battery etc. There's no battery to use in the Lifan or z50K2.

Carlo C. asked about this a few years ago, but no one ever showed which color went where in his build thread. I've got the diagrams that people have used but couldn't find any that didn't use a battery.

I'm too confused to know which color from the Z50 harness is what. I'm hoping someone will simply be able to tell me which color to hook the black and white wire to, and how to hook the lighting wires to the regulator and light switch.

Hopefully, the guru's will chime in pretty soon!

Thanks!

·
Vendor
10,561 Posts
For the OEM switch wireing you need to find the original diagram from that bike

The Trail tech is easy
You just use the yellow from the stator to the regulator to bleed off the voltage over 12VAC
So its a T Tap connection with the Yellow
Then you ground the brown
(the other side of the lighting coil is grounded on the yellow and white LIFAN type stators unlike the double yellow YX type where you need to ground one wire)

Voltage Regulator
Dirt bike Type
Part No: WHS-2570

12 VOLT VOLTAGE REGULATOR
Works well with Dirt bike type circuits

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vince,

Is the Lifan with one white and one yellow considered a single wire lighting coil?

Here's my collection of diagrams from searching previous posts:

Attachments

·
Vendor
10,561 Posts
Vince,

Is the Lifan with one white and one yellow considered a single wire lighting coil?
Basically you wont need the white wire since your not charging a battery
so cap it off
Connect the lighting as shown and explained in my last post

The simple harness will have one extra black wire once you get everything else connected
This is the kill button wire
You just need to go thru your key switch and connect the black kill wire so when the switch is on its open and when its off its grounded
or just get a separate simple CR type normally open kill button like use on a dirt bike and be done

Im just trying to help you understand how to hook this up as its a very simple circuit
You will be better off if you understand how things work rather that just being told what wire goes where

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Vince. It's the old teach to fish vs. give a fish thing. I am learning a bit about these wiring diagrams, but don't have all of the information. I did look at the back of my K2 ignition switch and saw that both the yellow and white wires are soldered to the same post. I'm now assuming that the wire from CDI to kill switch will splice into the black wire on the ignition switch, which when the key is turned will enable spark.

Looking at the wiring diagram for the K2 ignition switch, it appears that the red wire powers the headlight and the grey wire powers the tail light. Because I only have one wire for the lights coming from the regulator it looks like I need to solder a wire on the back of the ignition switch from grey to red thus giving power to both. Or splice the yellow wire to both red and grey wires going into the ignition switch. I'll probably end up splicing before the ignition switch instead of soldering the back of the switch in case I'm wrong.

Does this sound like I'm heading in the right direction?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the confirmation and the help. Hopefully, I'll get my tank back from the welding shop (they're moving the petcock) and put the bike together and get the thing fired up. Then I'll sandblast and paint it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I finally got the bike done. I cut the grey, blue, and red wires going into the K2 key switch and used a wiring nut to connect them into the yellow wire that goes from the stator to the regulator. It works fine!

Thanks for all the help, everyone.

I know this thread is out-dated but I wanted to share my solution in case anyone uses the search engine for this wiring problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts