PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy either 52cm or 56cm forks... or for my imperial friends 20.5 inches or 22 inches...

This will be for a 84 Z50 with a 1.5 inch extended swingarm and 280mm shocks...

Will the 22 inch forks be to long?

Keep in mind that the measurements are total length and the axle will probably be 1/2 inch less...

Thought's?

Edit: mesurments from top bolt to bottom of leg.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok...let me refrase this by asking what is the stock length of the Z50 forks top nut to alxe?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So looks like the 520mm shocks are the same as the stock ones as far as length... Just that the stock ones are sagging almost 2''...

The new ones don't sagg at all.

Think the 520mm looks good with the 1.5 extended swingarm and 280mm shocks :) but I think I could even go with the 560mm forks at about another 1.5 inches longer. Wonder if I could use a set of 300mm shocks with the 1.5 extended swingarm...

Don't mind the seat... I'm not going to use it or the tank lol. Got a gorilla tank and different seat coming... I have 5 bikes in total to build lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes 27mm

Aliexpress

220cad with shipping and duty for the forks and triple tree and top plate with the folding handlebar mount... Not a bad price for us in Canada.

Couldn't find a US supplier to ship to Canada.

Phatmax in Canada has the same setup with a disk brake as well for 330cad +shipping

Also seen the same forks and triple on eBay but for more $

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nics motorcycle Store

We did have some difficulty communicating and I did get the wrong forks... 520mm when I wanted 560mm... And my axle bolt is to short... But I'm pretty happy with the 520mm.

Also the front hub needs to be worked over a bit as the finger that slides into the brake drum is too far...

All stuff that is pretty standard for mods like this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone know what hub might fit without cutting this one up?

I was looking at the ct70 hub... Looks like it might fit...

·
Super Moderator
9,799 Posts
FWIW, in order to use a CRF50 front wheel with CRF70 forks, I drilled and tapped a hole into the brake panel tab and used a 6mm bolt (10mm head) threaded in place. The head of the bolt fit into the groove of the brake panel, and the brakes worked just fine.

BTW, the CT70 hub uses a 10" outer rim

·
Super Moderator
9,799 Posts
No, I'm saying that you may be able to do like I did in order to use the Z50 wheel with those forks and have working brakes. The bolt extends the brake tab closer to the wheel

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok...

Problem is the wheel isn't centered so I'll have to machine the drum side to even it out and get the finger into the slot.

Looking at the ct70 hub it looks like it might fit without cutting.

Anyone know if the ct70 drum will fit in the Z50 hub?

·
Super Moderator
9,799 Posts
Did you try flipping the wheel assembly on the hub? The Z is an offset rim, the valve stem side is wider and will offset the wheel between the forks.

I can test fit a CT brake panel on a 4-bolt hub I have here and let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Going to try to flip the wheel today...

I'm thinking of just machining (hacksaw lol) the hub or if the ct70 brake drum fits maybe go that route. Some pictures of the ct70 drum I saw showed a smaller or less of a protrusion from the drum.

As it is now the wheel fits but isn't centered and I can't fit a spacer on it.

If you could try the CT drum on the Z50 hub that would be great!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The CT brake panel does fit in the Z50 4-bolt hub, but, you would need to add a wheel spacer between the Z wheel bearing and the axle hole of the CT panel.
Thanks... I appreciate your help!

Going to take a look at it again today to see what the best way forward is...

Thanks again

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had an old hub... So I decided to modify it with my 4 inch grinder and a cut off blade... Think that it will work just fine with a modified spacer.

I did try to flip the wheel but it wasn't enough to center the wheel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts