PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a dumb question, I think I know the answer but not exactly sure,
I just installed a 88cc kit , and now when I go to kick start it the clutch slips, I know I need to go with
heavy duty clutch with springs, my question is, if the clutch is slipping while kick starting it im I losing power
due to clutch slippage ? I was thinking the clutch was for kick starting and shifting, I didn't think of it as losing power.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
While you could be losing power due to clutch slipping, there is always more slipping with centrifugal clutches when the engine is not running. The faster the engine spins, the tighter the plates get. Not a bad idea to get a heavy duty clutch or at least, plates and springs, with the increased displacement on your engine.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
And, make sure your clutch is adjusted properly. Assume it’s a standard auto unit? If it’s not adjusted correctly, that added compression from the 88 kit is more then enough to induce slip

For reference, I’m running a 108cc motor with a stock Honda manual clutch. Everything is new and adjusted correctly and it kicks over with no issues. Now, if my clutch adjustments are off, slip city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
508 Posts
You might see in a few other posts that the Z's kick starter mechanism goes through the auto clutch by default. An increase in compression and resistance means if you kick quickly it will normally slip the auto clutch.

The trick is with higher compression a nice slow long stroke on the kick starter is needed, then it won't give you the "clutch slippage on kicking feeling". Get it to point where compression stroke resistance is felt, then a nice slow long smooth kick. If your auto clutch was fine before, should be still fine. Whilst you might think it's an issue with the higher compression, once you change your starting approach it never seems to be an issue. That's why people can run 108 cc no issues on stock clutch.

Try the technique change first... seems to work !
I often forget I'm still in gear with my 88cc, give it the slow kick & if I happen to rev it a little away it goes ! Shows that if set right & right kick approach you can start easily whilst still in gear !
And yes carb has to be in good condition and tuned to idle nicely .. if not then it will be a battle starting !

Cheers, Darrie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts