PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I just installed the 88 with out the head. I started it up and about 20 sec into runing it I noticed that the exhaust pipe right wher it comes out of the head was glowing red. What happened??

· Registered
32 Posts
was that 20secs with or without the juice :lol: j/k. thats real hot real quick. did it sound ok when it was runnin? make sure exhaust valve is adusted correctly and cam timing is set properly. exhaust gasket good/there? if it leaks it can draw in O2 and burn excess fuel in pipe right there instead of blowin it out the end. if everything went together right the first time you should be cool. if cam timing was ever off, make sure you didnt ding the ex valve. if you did, compression would be down. maybe check it by taking pipe off and putting your thumb or finger over ex port, jack kickstarter till it gets hard 8O then just keep steady pressure on it. you shouldnt feel any pressure on your finger till kickstarter breaks over when ex valve opens. if all thats ok go to jetting but it would have to be hellaciously lean to cherry that quickly.

· Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
crfnaround said:
was that 20secs with or without the juice :lol: j/k. thats real hot real quick. did it sound ok when it was runnin? make sure exhaust valve is adusted correctly and cam timing is set properly. exhaust gasket good/there? if it leaks it can draw in O2 and burn excess fuel in pipe right there instead of blowin it out the end. if everything went together right the first time you should be cool. if cam timing was ever off, make sure you didnt ding the ex valve. if you did, compression would be down. maybe check it by taking pipe off and putting your thumb or finger over ex port, jack kickstarter till it gets hard 8O then just keep steady pressure on it. you shouldnt feel any pressure on your finger till kickstarter breaks over when ex valve opens. if all thats ok go to jetting but it would have to be hellaciously lean to cherry that quickly.

It sounded fine when it was running.

If the exhaust gasket is leaking, will it make the pipe do that?

I know the valves are OK. I was very careful when taking it apart and putting it back together.

I will check the valve adjustment again.

If that does not work I'll try the thumb thing.

· Registered
32 Posts
ex gasket leaking could heatup header 2 ways. when theres pressure in the pipe during ex stroke, hot gasses will be forced out the leak. all that heat goin through there will start acting like a mini blow torch and could start chewing away at the mating surfaces. this shows up right where the pipe and head meet. after the ex valve closes all the gasses moving away from it create a low pressure area in the port (scavanging). this could draw in fresh air/oxygen and with all the heat it there it burns the excess fuel in the pipe. i think this would show up a little further into the pipe. maybe as far as the bend down there. but to be honest with you, im new to pm and just started/finished building up my fiddie (had it for bout a year now). the things above are jus where i would start lookin.

· Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
five0addict said:
oil flow stopped, is there oil in the motor? :lol:

what carb do you have? and what jetsize?

There is oil in the motor.

The carb that came with the kit. It's a 20mm.

I have no clue what the jet size is.

· Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
crfnaround said:
ex gasket leaking could heatup header 2 ways. when theres pressure in the pipe during ex stroke, hot gasses will be forced out the leak. all that heat goin through there will start acting like a mini blow torch and could start chewing away at the mating surfaces. this shows up right where the pipe and head meet. after the ex valve closes all the gasses moving away from it create a low pressure area in the port (scavanging). this could draw in fresh air/oxygen and with all the heat it there it burns the excess fuel in the pipe. i think this would show up a little further into the pipe. maybe as far as the bend down there. but to be honest with you, im new to pm and just started/finished building up my fiddie (had it for bout a year now). the things above are jus where i would start lookin.

Damm...that's some pretty good stuff.

· Registered
3,869 Posts
Well Im sure FIve0 is way off on not having oil as that is certainly not the problem. Its more than likely, CALLED A 4STROKE HEADER, they get hot and they can glow at night. Happens on the bigger bikes all the time, they will glow a bright cherry red seconds after startup just like you said, its just most people dont notice it.

· Registered
312 Posts
Jetster220 said:
Well Im sure FIve0 is way off on not having oil as that is certainly not the problem. Its more than likely, CALLED A 4STROKE HEADER, they get hot and they can glow at night. Happens on the bigger bikes all the time, they will glow a bright cherry red seconds after startup just like you said, its just most people dont notice it.
Correct

· Registered
3,869 Posts
Not for a header pipe, but for a cylinder or something else, heck yea, I would be tellin him to check stuff as something wouldnt be right. I can see heat waves baking off my header 20sec after I crank mine up, but my cylinder and head will only feel just warm for a good couple minutes or more.

P.S. Stanton just to make sure dont ever take anything I say to personally or that Im trying to make you look dumb, I just like to give you a hard time haha. Maybe Ill have you learned one day lol.

· Registered
3,869 Posts
five0addict said:
talk is talk, all you need is to learn from it.

i take no offence and i never do, all i see is insight into other minds.

:D
I like that. You should put that in your sig, words to live by.

· Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys. Maybe i have never noticed it before. But i swear i think i would have. BUt anyways now it's a few days into running the motor (about 5 to 7 hours of ride time) and it seems alright. I do have that TB tick though. But it does'nt feel like it is affecting it at all.

· Registered
8,911 Posts
After you guys do the top ends be sure to go back and recheck the timing and retorque the head bolts. 9ftlbs. or 108inlbs. alot of you guys dont do this and blow your head gasket or blow oil in the cylinder. :roll:

· Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am going to be pulling the motor this weekend to upgrade my clutch springs change the oil and adjust the valves. I'll make sure they are torqued down.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.