PlanetMinis Forums banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
The rest of my chassis paths came in yesterday. Maybe I can have a roller by the end of the night.

Engine gaskets should be in tomorrow. I’m leaving for work Friday morning and won’t be back til the 2nd. Thinking about bringing it with me and assembling in the hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
The engine is back together and in the bike. Piston&valves clear.

I’m having trouble with the clutch. I don’t know if it’s shitty levers or stretched cable. It doesn’t seem to disengage when I pull the lever. I don’t have the chain on it yet, just spinning with my fingers. Working on it more today. I’m ready to see if it’ll spark and start, just worryied fussing with this clutch.

Clear coated the polished side covers

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Well, I’ve had the clutch apart 4 different times. 3 different cables, and 2 levers. Swapped the 80 clutch back in. Adjusted cable every which way. Adjusted nUt on outside of engine cover. Still can’t get it to operate. I don’t know what is wrong. I haven’t changed anything from when I took it apart aside from the 100 guts. Even swapped back to the 80 stuff. :banghead: I’m done with it for today.

I do have spark, so once the clutch is figured out.... you know

· Administrator
11,223 Posts
If you can turn the flywheel over by hand with the trans in neutral, and the clutch basket turns freely while doing so, and you're sure you're not missing any actuator parts inside the right side engine cover, why not try to fire it up? It might be easier to troubleshoot the clutch while it's running. Just a thought...

· Administrator
11,223 Posts
Also, did you use the XR100 clutch assembly? I just checked and compared an XR80 and XR100 clutch and it appears that the 100 has 1 more fiber plate and 1 more metal plate than the 80, is it possible that the "wider" clutch is so close to the actuator arm inside the cover that there is no room for adjustment?

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I’ll give it a go tomorrow, I was fed up today. I did use the xr100 assembly when I swapped clutches. The side covers are the same if I’m not mistaken. The problem is that there seems to be too much room in between the clutch and the arm inside the cover. Either that or the cable isn’t pulling the external actuator lever enough.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Threw the exhaust on and fired it up this evening. The clutch is still not working. I’ve ordered a new oem cable. It felt and sounded healthy though. I’m excited to see how it rides. I need to do some carb tuning.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I got it figured out. There is a splined washer that’s supposed to go on the clutch shaft before the plate sets. I had installed it after all of the basket components. Like that it’s always engage. I put the splined washer in before the plate sets and viola!

I got to do some carb tuning on it after that.
I ended up with my biggest jets in it. 42 low speed and 120 main. It’s pretty close here, but still has a cut around the top of the throttle. I’ve got a few smaller that I’m going to drill and get it dialed in. The atc200x carb makes it easy to swap jets with the access hole in the bowl.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Alright, I got it dialed in darn close.

42 low speed
108 high speed
A/f screw 1.75 turns out
Stock atc200x needle set on the middle

I tried numerous jets and needle positions as well as an xr100 needle and this seemed to be the best setup with what I have. It has a slight hesitation if you grab a handful from idle, but if you slow down just a touch it’s not there. This seems to be the case with most of these builds w/o an accelerator pump. I’m going to keep tweaking and see if I can’t get it tuned out. I had so much fun riding yesterday when it was supa fat. I can’t wait to ride it now that it’s right

I’ll try and get some speed runs in and see where it’s at. It’s night and day difference from yesterday.

Pic for fun

· Administrator
11,223 Posts
Try turning the fuel screw OUT (to richen it) a 1/4-turn and then ride the bike to see if the hesitation lessens. If so, try another 1/4-turn until it seems to clear up. As you stated, without an accelerator pump, you can't wick it from idle to WFO and expect it to work right.

· Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for sharing everything you have, Rooster! About to begin a build of a sleeper, stock appearing 80 myself. I've learned a lot reading StormanNorman's and King of Paint's posts, but your many updates have been very helpful also. How's it running now?

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Thanks for sharing everything you have, Rooster! About to begin a build of a sleeper, stock appearing 80 myself. I've learned a lot reading StormanNorman's and King of Paint's posts, but your many updates have been very helpful also. How's it running now?
It’s been running great and a lot of fun. I’ve gotten used to the throttle and how to ride through it, it’s second nature now.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.