PlanetMinis Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I didn’t get as far as I would’ve liked today, but I did get the frame sprayed and am about to spray the footpegs mounts, forks, engine mount, and rear swingarm. I used the rustoleum wheel paint first and decided I wanted to paint more than I thought. I ended up using the duplicolor metalcast as well. They came out looking great. I thought it would be too sparkly and cheap looking, but it laid out good and the finish is smooth and consistent. Also, the duplicolor metalcast laid down well over the top of the rustoleum.

Edit: neither the Rustoleum wheel paint nor the duplicolor metalcast matched the factory paint. Both had way more metallic flake in them. The stores I went to didn’t have the duplicolor dirtbkr188 suggested. I only went to two places though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I got the forks, kickstand, foot peg brackets, and engine mount painted last night. Will pull the swingarm off the 100 to do it this evening.

I also started putting parts back on

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Today I got the piston and cylinder separated!

Several days of soaking with 50/50 atf/acetone mix. Yesterday I added a modified c-clamp pushing down on the piston. Today after work I cut small blocks to support the cylinder from underneath and a block that fit the cylinder almost perfect to get good surface area with the piston. 2x4s under the whole thing on the ground. Hammer down, just firm enough to get movement FINALLY! A little bit later they were apart.
Blocks and how they were arranged, I removed the cylinder studs to do this

Inside is garbage but an oh so sweet sight

·
Registered
9 Posts
Suspension will be XR100R forks and swingarm with a vonkat rear shock and I’m thinking bbr hd springs for the forks. I’m also looking at the rear link from RHmotoworx if I want some more height.

Edit: forks/swingarm off a 2004 crf100
already talking with RH for his set up,, my kid will be ripping this upcoming season...

·
Registered
632 Posts
Check this out:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Things are moving forward. I ordered rings today and will be bringing the cylinder and piston by the machine shop when I get home from this job.

I’ll be using a vonkat rear shock and RHmotoworx rear link. We have to do some measuring to see if the current link will work with my 2004 crf100f swingarm. I do have a 2001 XR100R swingarm that I could use if need be just not in as good of shape. Nothing that can’t be fixed though. More to come on that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I did talk to fast50s and they are waiting on rings for their big daddy kit. I’m plan to run the cb400f piston setup until they get their stock in, then bump up to their kit for more compression. Its looking like that will be a month or two before those come in though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I dropped the cylinder and piston off at the machine shop Monday afternoon. While I’m waiting I ordered the last few bits (good chain, 100 length brake rod, some replacement hardware, a chain adjuster, and some extra master links for the trail pack)

I paid to get the rear wheel re-spoked and trued and took my shot at installing the front tire and tube. Piece of cake! I grabbed 2 pairs of spoons at the zone ($7.99 ea.) and only ended up using 1 pair. Nice. The other pair will go to my riding buddy for Christmas I reckon since he always talks about pinching tubes with screwdrivers. The spoons are 10” long and not too spoony (iron?). Sorry for the crappy pic. Zoomed in on a screenshot

Reassembly has begun.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
^*gold chain

My Fisher fab chain guide came in today. I got it on sale for $39.99. It looks nice

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Picked up my cylinder today. 51mm ready to ripp

Std cylinder before machining for sleeve thickness visual. Wish I had a better pic

Waiting on xrsonly and bike bandit.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Friday night shenanigans while I’m waiting on my last few parts. Thanks @Quinc for the idea and info. I’ve stripped, scotch brite, and black compound so far. White compound next.
Before

After black compound

21 - 39 of 39 Posts