PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the bike without a carb and know nothing about the motor. I’d like to put a whole new motor kit in it. What do you all recommend. I’ve been eye balling the pirahna140.

·
Registered
162 Posts
piranha 90cc

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
What are your plans? Racing, street, casual riding?

Replacement XR70 carbs can be found relatively cheap. A lot cheaper than replacing a motor. Sure you can dump in an aftermarket motor but since you stated you don't know much about them, maybe you should learn your way around a stock 70 motor? The 140 might need some additional tuning and tweaking.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
+1 the new carb idea over a chinese motor. I would order an OEM carb personally. You can find them used pretty cheap and then buy a carb rebuild kit and it's back to new. Or just order a new OEM carb.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response. We’re just casual riding. Just bought my son a crf125f and I’ve been working on the 70 frame for a while but it had been put on the back burner for a while. I think I might of mislead you all about not knowing about the motor. What I meant was the condition of the motor. When I bought the bike it was pretty rough so I’m sure the motor has been put through the ringer. Was just wanting thoughts on should I rebuild the 70 motor and buy a new carb or would you through a new bigger motor in it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
get This better than stock and still genuine Mikuni too, I have one and it works great!

·
Super Moderator
10,311 Posts
still genuine Mikuni too,
That is another style Mikuni-clone carb that is made in Southeast Asia under Mikuni auspices. It is better than a stock Honda XR70 carb, and very easily tunable. I've used it on a couple of builds.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. Okay so I’m gonna throw y’all a curve ball. I also have a xr50 that I do know about the motor. It’s all there except the carb. Which one would be the best to build up into a good little bike. Seems like there are more after market parts for it. I have several parts all ready that I bought for the 70 but didn’t realize they wouldn’t fit because they are for the 50.

·
Super Moderator
10,967 Posts
I also have a xr50 that I do know about the motor. It’s all there except the carb. Which one would be the best to build up into a good little bike. Seems like there are more after market parts for it. I have several parts all ready that I bought for the 70 but didn’t realize they wouldn’t fit because they are for the 50.
The newer 12 volt motors have more performance aftermarket parts than the older six volt motors. I would improve the xr50 motor.
tmas

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The newer 12 volt motors have more performance aftermarket parts than the older six volt motors. I would improve the xr50 motor.
tmas
Thanks that’s kinda what I was thinking. Top end needs rebuilding so I guess I’ll get the kit with carb and everything with it. Tbilisi has that for 2 something

1 - 11 of 11 Posts