PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a long hiatus of having kids and not riding motorcycles anymore i got the itch and picked up this XR70 clone for really cheap on craigslist. worked on it for like 2 weeks cleaning the carb over and over. couldnt get it to run right so I just bought a $229 lifan 125cc off of ebay to get me going.

Been cruising it around in the desert and want to do some other upgrades. I didnt like the stock, old school looking seat and tank, and got rid of them and got newer, more modern looking ones. I had to make a subframe to make the seat fit correctly.

This is how the bike looked when I brought it home

This is the bike after swapping in a lifan

This is the bike with the subframe built and new seat and tank added.

I bought a cheap shock off of amazon and put it on but it is way too stiff.
Do you guys have a shock you recommend that is less than 100 dollars? or somewhere around there?

How can i stiffen up the forks for cheap? do you guys know any mods for that?
i am about 230LBS.

Also I cant get the lighting coil to work on this thing. There is 1 yellow and 1 pink wire coming off the lighting coil. No white wire. Ive tried a bunch of different wiring scenarios but cant get it to power a light.
Am considering getting a new lighting stator off amazon.

What other mods should I do to this thing?

·
Registered
6 Posts
A cheap mod to stiffen the fork would be to insert a piece of metal (pipe, rod or something else.. about 2 inches long) inside both fork legs on top of the springs. It's easy to do, just unscrew the top bolts. You can also replace the fork oil to thicker viscosity, like 30W.

Yellow and pink wire should be wired directly from the stator to a full wave Regulator/Rectifier. You probably have a half wave R/R now. A full wave 4-pin R/R like the LF110 is a good cheap option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips. Ill give the fork shims a try and report back. Ill order a full wave rectifier as well. Great to know.

A cheap mod to stiffen the fork would be to insert a piece of metal (pipe, rod or something else.. about 2 inches long) inside both fork legs on top of the springs. It's easy to do, just unscrew the top bolts. You can also replace the fork oil to thicker viscosity, like 30W.

Yellow and pink wire should be wired directly from the stator to a full wave Regulator/Rectifier. You probably have a half wave R/R now. A full wave 4-pin R/R like the LF110 is a good cheap option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also another thing Ive noticed about the places I ride in southern California are extremely dusty and the dust and dirt tends to get flung straight from the rear tire, right into the pod filter. At times it has been so thick in the filter that I am really trusting the oil in the filter to keep it out of the intake. I fashioned a fender out of a plastic bucket lid and zip tied it in my swingarm and it helps but the filter still gets quite dirty.

Does anyone run an airbox? Are there any universal airboxes available for these bikes?

The picture below is from this last weekend. We camped at my favorite place to take my boy because the flats have a lot of sandy ish trails to ride on that are forgiving when he falls.
IMG_2242.png

·
Registered
627 Posts
Can get a pre-filter (K&N pre-charger) (filterwears pre-filter)
The oil is what always keeps the dust/dirt out.

I say keep going the custom route and build a shroud to protect the filter if you want to.

I had to coverup at a mud race last year... thick paperplates and zipties (I usually have airbox on this bike but the rubber boot cracked so I last minute put a pod on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats a good idea, maybe a sheet metal enclosure to cover the back end of the pod. Thanks

Your bike is sick... looks like you have some custom stuff going on with those disc brakes. Did you add caliper mounts and get new custom wheels or are there parts frankensteined from different bikes? either way that thing is pretty bad ass

Can get a pre-filter (K&N pre-charger) (filterwears pre-filter)
The oil is what always keeps the dust/dirt out.

I say keep going the custom route and build a shroud to protect the filter if you want to.

I had to coverup at a mud race last year... thick paperplates and zipties (I usually have airbox on this bike but the rubber boot cracked so I last minute put a pod on. View attachment 270894

·
Registered
627 Posts
RetroMod 82 XR100 Dirt. 74' suzuki forks. KTM 105 wheels. Stock swingarm modded for the wheels and brakes. Disc brakes KTM 85 rear and KTM 125-520 front caliper. Powroll 120. KTM 65 carb. When airbox is working its modded for increased volume and custom flange that uses KX60 airfilter and cage. I wish I had pictures from the race but it was raining the whole time so not many cameras out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RetroMod 82 XR100 Dirt. 74' suzuki forks. KTM 105 wheels. Stock swingarm modded for the wheels and brakes. Disc brakes KTM 85 rear and KTM 125-520 front caliper. Powroll 120. KTM 65 carb. When airbox is working its modded for increased volume and custom flange that uses KX60 airfilter and cage. I wish I had pictures from the race but it was raining the whole time so not many cameras out.
bad ass man

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Havent been here in a while. Here's a pic of the bike from a few weeks ago at one of my favorite riding spots.
Since this picture I have installed a full wave rectifier and it indeed solved the electric issue I was having so was then able to install a headlight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts