PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been having problems with my new xr. It will only start with the choke on, if I turn the choke off it dies and wont refire. I have cleand the carb 3 times, so I know nothing is dirty inside the carb. Any ideas of what to try next?

·
Super Moderator
9,534 Posts
1-1/2 to 1-3/4 turns OUT from seated, make your adjustments in 1/4-turn increments IN to richen it, and see if it improves. If there is no change after adjustments to within a 1/4-turn from all the way IN, your pilot jet circuit is still clogged internally.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alrighty I'll give it a go. If no start I will pull carb AGAIN..lol Let ya know how it goes. Thanks for the replys. Is that a full 360 turn?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Try doing a compression test before you tear anything else down, It might save you some time.

I was going threw the same thing and mine ended up being one of the gaskets in my carb was a lil torn and was letting air in. If any of your gaskets are torn or worn you are letting air escape or get in which will cause ur bike to do what it is doing.

If all else fails try replacing all ur carb and carb related gaskets.

·
Super Moderator
9,534 Posts
weihl165 said:
Alrighty I'll give it a go. If no start I will pull carb AGAIN..lol Let ya know how it goes. Thanks for the replys. Is that a full 360 turn?

One and a half to one and three-quarters turns OUT from seated, and make the adjustments in quarter-turns (90 degrees) IN at a time, to see if there is an improvement. Most times, with the TB 20mm carb, it just takes the fine tuning with the air screw to get it dialed in.

On a side note, what main jet and pilot jet sizes do you have in it now?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dirtbkr188 said:
One and a half to one and three-quarters turns OUT from seated, and make the adjustments in quarter-turns (90 degrees) IN at a time, to see if there is an improvement. Most times, with the TB 20mm carb, it just takes the fine tuning with the air screw to get it dialed in.

On a side note, what main jet and pilot jet sizes do you have in it now?

Well I got it start with those settings, I am 1 1/2 out. Still cant get ti to idle. tho. Took the carb off to clean it again. The jets are 92 main and 35 pilot. Was thinking air leak but i sprayed carb cleaner around the manifold and carb, it didnt rev anymore

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so I put it all back together and still having the same problem. It willk start without the choke on, and will stay running as long as I keep giving it gas, as soon as the revs get down it will wanna die unless I twist the trottle a bit. What to try next? I know the carb is not clogged anywhere, I have cleaned it 4 times now

1 - 14 of 14 Posts