PlanetMinis Forums banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

· Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
jakesworld-design said:
I am looking to do the suspension swap on my 2003 xr 100. What year cr 80 do I need to look for?, You know you could write a manual, I & alot of others would buy it.

About what is the cost I am looking at in swap.

The most direct swap front end is 1982-1985 CR80 which has drum brake. The rear will require some fab work, see above. I've seen guys mod the rear link on the XR and add a CR shock. Not totally sold on that myself, but it is a less expensive and more readily available option (many swingarm parts on the 82-85 CR are obsolete). One of the performance gains on using the 82-85 CR parts is the aluminum rims.

As far as manuals go, just keep checking in; i work at a slow pace so detail should be plentiful!

Please be mindful that all vendors on this site pay to advertise.

· Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Finally finished 'color' sanding, now ready to have them buffed. The 3m headlight cleaner system worked not bad, but I still don't have luster.

I would not recommend sanding your plastics to anyone (labour intensive!), if you feel you must; seek help.

Before and after shots...

Attachments

· Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Gonna need a stool to get on...

As you can see it's finally together enough to truly be a roller.

Slowly coming together.

Attachments

· Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
The 13 5/8" XR200 shock vs the 14" CR80 shock resulted in a ~1 1/4" drop in static ground clearance, but I was hoping for that anyway (angle on the swingarm was extreme with the CR shock installed). The XR shock has all kinds of adjustments and appears to be leak free.

Attachments

· Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
More plastic sanding (oooh, yay!) for the '88 XR tank will bring back the colour (blaze red), blue aftermarket seat cover is in the mail. I've decided to not do full paint on the frame; as a rider it'll only rub through again anyway. Hopefully tomorrow I can get my flywheel pulled an prepped for shipping to Flint, Michigan. The return postage should be less based on weight...

Attachments

· Registered
3,896 Posts
'84 CR80 Nice!! If nothing else-- I'd try and run as big of sprockets as possible. This is why I'm working with a 150F... It's just alot easier to deal with, and alot less problems. Motor doesn't need much either.

I wish there was a way to run 14/17 inch wheels on it though. I was even half thinking about putting the 150F motor in a 150R chassis, or a DRZ125 chassis. Haha! Prolly won't happen though. I'll just keep it like it is, and when I want to fool around with a smaller bike, I have a stocker 110, and a KX65. Honda needs to put an XR100 motor in a 12/14 inch wheeled chassis as the next generation of pit bikes. --L*64

· Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
New OE engine brace, Uni Pod, DID Pro series 420 chain (120 links, have 2 to spare - XR counter sprocket is much more forward than the CR), OE clutch cable and some new hardware. So close to running it's ridiculous.

· Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
Well then.

First ride went decent. Got the initial stretch out of the DID chain, suspension works GREAT, bike runs solid... burns oil when hot. Damn.

This sucks more than words can say as we're in the middle of selling our house and finances won't be settled until end of June / mid July.

Oh well, it's got two stroke suspension, it may as well smoke like one too!

· Registered
120 Posts
I feel like I am resurrecting an ancient thread, but I have just begun research to try to improve my son's 1990 xr100r as he grows and improves his skills. What makes the CR80 forks better?
depending on what year you get the CR forks are better all the way around, less flex, more adjustments and better braking. if I were to replace them I'd definitely go with CR85 forks. you will have to have them lowered and will need new triple clamps along with a steering stem. while your at it you just as well put tapered bearings in.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.