PlanetMinis Forums banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

· Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
New collars and bushings installed on the link, yet it's not painted? Yup. I need them for mock up for the rear shock upper mount. It's the '84 CR80 shock in the pic, but I have a feeling I'll be using something else for the final build... something a little more 'adequate' for my weight. XR200 rear shock is where I'm headed (rated for 200 Lb rider, 13 5/8" long early versions were gas charged & rebuildable).

Attachments

· Banned
16,707 Posts
XR100 crank walk is a great application for Loctite 640 or similar. Works to make the big Chinese motors fret the bearings a lot less, too, and likely adds some rigidity. Probably causes stress risers to spring up else where, though, on the cheapies:rolleyes:

· Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yup. Once it's together and tested, the engine is getting pulled down for a few issues & freshening up. Excessive side to side movement on the big end bearings is one of them. Normally I just go with the red loctite, but I'll hit it with the bearing retainer with your blessing.

· Registered
23 Posts
theraymondguy said:
I reused the XR ball & race setup for mock up. We'll see how much of a money pit this thing is and decide from there.

I've been perusing fleabay for a "setup manual" (dealer only PDI/tuning manual) for a couple months to answer specifically the questions you just asked about fork oil. If I don't track one down first, perhaps you will!

Rob.
Went to the local honda service dept. today and they let me look at an 84 cr80 shop manual, here you go capacity-276cc, oil level-132mm[spring out, fork compressed] manual specifies ATF but I would use 15 or 20 weight fork oil to stiffen things up.

· Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Nice!

My local dealer has only been in business for a short while; really great to deal with, just no older manuals to peruse.

Finances or not, I'll end up with a taper roller bearing setup. Just too basic a step to skip/skimp.

· Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
settintrendz said:
i just love the way this is turning out

That's high praise for my modest build, but thanks none the less!

Been spending my time at the parts counter lately, new bars, grips, sprockets and chain. I went 420 (order XR80R vs. XR100R) on the chain and sprockets to get the greater variety of gearing options & reduced drag. Having said that, I ordered 15/45; as time allows I'll chirp in how this ratio worked as a stock, lightened flywheel and finally exhaust and jetted bike. I have a feeling it will be a bit too tall.

Staying away from my daughter's halloween candy would most likely be way more effective.

At a standstill, decided to clean up my CR fenders. Some before shots.

· Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Now 600 wet sanded, you can see the deeper scratches starting to disappear, the panels feel near perfectly smooth to the touch (well, heavy equipment mechanic's touch smooth anyway). The colour is starting to come through nicely.

My plan for the final assault...

Attachments

21 - 40 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.