PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished reading Storminnormans post on his epic Cr85/Xr80 build. Inspired? You bet. However, I'm considering using the XR100 frame with the CR bits as bolt on ('84 front end should be a bolt on anyway).

I bought the CR first looking for a winter project, however the engine from the drain bolt up is completely scrap, bottom ends are impossible to find complete (they've all been parted on fleabay) and the Atac valve makes a mess of using later model stuff. To be honest, I'm a four stroke guy at heart anyway and the mighty 100 suits my riding style better (slow & steady).

I'm picking up the XR100 tomorrow (ad says 1990, but I believe 1997 judging by the plastics and seat?)

Anyway, can't wait to get started.

Attachments

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Good News!

It's a '98 XR100, meaning electronic ignition.

Got a little wrenching done today; Mounted the (1984) CR80 front end. It is truly a bolt on for the XR100 frame, only pita was swapping lower stem bearings (XR100 uses balls/races top & bottom, CR has cup/cone on the bottom. Had no issue with Re & Re or fitment of balls/races to the bottom of the CR stem).

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
Sweet build man. I love projects like these.

I do see a problem though with something you mentioned in your last post and I'm just tryin to save you a headache...

You mentioned that you wanted to mount the CR80 shock like storminnormin07 did. What he did was use the CR85 chassis/suspension and swapped the motor. Thats the stock location for the shock on that application. You may already know this and if thats the case, I apologize for bringing it up. The CR80 shock and linkage will not fit on the XR.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
settintrendz said:
Sweet build man. I love projects like these.

I do see a problem though with something you mentioned in your last post and I'm just tryin to save you a headache...

You mentioned that you wanted to mount the CR80 shock like storminnormin07 did. What he did was use the CR85 chassis/suspension and swapped the motor. Thats the stock location for the shock on that application. You may already know this and if thats the case, I apologize for bringing it up. The CR80 shock and linkage will not fit on the XR.

do believe he is trying to do this one i did. that is a stock xr 100 frame. i didnt use a cr shock i used one of the prototype ohlins of the cobra mini quads.

·
Registered
258 Posts
AHHH yes. I remember that post now. I didnt put two and two together.

But yea...The CR shock will not work. I tried it every which way, and couldnt get it. Too long. I even machined a shorter clevis, internally shortened it just to get it physically short enough. On top of that I moved the upper mount as high as it could go. Then, in an effort to get it to perform well, I had it re-valved and had a custom 7.2KG progressive spring made. Still performed poorly. Alot of effort for a sub-par system.

Finally ended up building a WP shock from a KTM65 thats made for a linkageless system and love it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Heres a few shots of how I did it.

This was round one with the CR shock fully modded...

And here's round two: set-up with the WP shock...

·
Registered
258 Posts
One-off. I screwed around with and modded a KX85 swinger, but never liked it. Just decided build one from scratch.

Sorry for the HUGE pics in the last post. Don't know what that's about.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Haha. Thanks man. WP stands for Works Performance: the manufacturer of KTM shocks.

Yea, we have an '85 CR80 here that we are using for an XR100 conversion similar to yours. I assumed that the shocks were the same on the '84s and the '85s, but now that I'm thinking about it I believe Honda used a different shock '85-87 or something like that. The '85 and up shocks are too darn long. Yours may be shorter, and if so, thats one battle down. If its indeed 11" center to center, you should be good as far as physical length goes. That would be sweet. Then you just have to deal with valving and a heavy spring.:)

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well, after I flipped the link...

Everything fits.

Hard to believe.

In the interm, I will go through the mock ups again & shoot some pics for any whom might be interested.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
More work this aft...

Removed the upper shock mount; tried mocking up the CR swinger and the XR swinger both with the CR shock and linkage.

Sweet. ALL Honda XR/CR suspension conversion.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 64 Posts