PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a crf70 swingarm bolt onto a xr50 frame using the 50 shock and stock rim? I want to do a extended swingarm and keep the ride height i have.Just a question i thought i would ask. thanks for any input!

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
If you put the swinger on it will make it sit higher in the rear.

And to get it to work on the 50 you need to make a mount to hold the 50 brake drum in place.

You will need a longer brake rod and chain aswell

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fiddy4ever said:
mine with a 70 swinger

thanks for info..could you show me a picture of the rear brake? thanks for your time

could you show me a picture of the rear brake? and how much taller will it put the rear? thanks for your time..also can i use the stock shock?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Ill have to get the pic late on. I just drilled a hole in it and put a bolt thru and bolted it tight. Then I put another nut on the end of the bolt and it holds the brake panel perfect with no play.

It might raise it a couple of inches.

Yes you can use the stock shock.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fiddy4ever said:
Ill have to get the pic late on. I just drilled a hole in it and put a bolt thru and bolted it tight. Then I put another nut on the end of the bolt and it holds the brake panel perfect with no play.

It might raise it a couple of inches.

Yes you can use the stock shock.
thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
I didn't even think about the brake rod when using a +2 swinger so the stock one don't work? Can you buy a longer rod? I will have a +2 next week and if I need a new rod then I am going to have to get it ordered

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
order or just go hardware store...buy a short piece of all-thread, a nut and a coupler...then use it to make your own...saves 10-15 bucks...just an idea...

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
trtr013 said:
order or just go hardware store...buy a short piece of all-thread, a nut and a coupler...then use it to make your own...saves 10-15 bucks...just an idea...

Yea but then the spring would not fit or work properly.

And yes You need the spring

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I just took my stock brake rod, welded in a 2 or 3 inch extension somewhere towards the middle (or right before the threaded area), cleaned it up, made it look all pretty, painted it, and a year and a half later no issues at all.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
traut811 said:
I just took my stock brake rod, welded in a 2 or 3 inch extension somewhere towards the middle (or right before the threaded area), cleaned it up, made it look all pretty, painted it, and a year and a half later no issues at all.

I did that but I snapped mine within a couple weeks lol.

I am kinda hard on the brakes though I slam the rear sometimes so I can slide into corners

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what would be the best year 70 to get a swingarm from? sorry for all the questions lol...still learning...thanks

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
ummm mine works with the spring too. Just make sure you put it in the right place...and I use my rear brake so much cause of wheelies...all 98 and newer xr70 swingers are the same...

·
Registered
423 Posts
bountehntr said:
what would be the best year 70 to get a swingarm from? sorry for all the questions lol...still learning...thanks

the crf70 swingarms have a different shock mount then the xr's and the earliest xr70's have a tab welded in the middle of the swingarm for the old style brake arm stop.

all 70 swingarms will need the brake stop mod for stock 50 drum brakes so doesnt matter which one you get:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts