PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to give a little feedback on these bikes since there isn't much out there yet.

-Very affordable and decent looking to boot.

-Decent hardware to work with (although it does rust anywhere you put a wrench on it)

-4 UP trans works well

-Seat is comfortable and legit compared to some of the others

-Nice 2 stage foam air filter (no K&N copy garbage)

-The first 4 I uncrated fired up on 1-2 kicks even after that long boat ride from the factory

-fairly standard CRF50 parts (no oddball scooter disk brakes or ATV shocks mounted to step ladder swingarms)

-the bolts seem well tightened from the factory

-the frame design is really cool looking! didn't expect to see something like that on a base level bike

Dislikes:

-First and foremost the chains are just awful. I will be running DID chains from the get-go from now on.

-Grease is scarce in china... pull the steering bearings to grease them for sure and anything else that pivots or moves.

-For a 90cc engine it seems to be overcarbed?? Don't quote me on this but the carb says 26 on it and I kind of believe it. Maybe pitster can comment on that?

-Gearing seems a bit high for backyard bashing... but with a smaller carb it might work ok as is...

-Exhaust hangers seem to be made out of beer cans. Very thin sheetmetal!

-Throttle sleeve is super flimsy... like a step up from a plastic bag

-Suspension is ok, but I would prefer a stock honda style front end because quite frankly it would work better and the honda aftermarket (plus ones and stiff springs) would swap over.

-Rubber mounted bars never feel solid even when you crank on the nuts for the bar clamps

All in all its a sweet little bike for the price... i'm by no means bashing it, just giving out first hand experience. They fire right up and scoot around well. I haven't had one on a track yet, just bombed around the shop. I was able to bottom the suspension bouncing off a 3 inch tall rock and landing flat.

I will be doing a little experimenting with the next batch to try dialing one in a little bit. I have a couple different carburetor options to try. Maybe a smaller front sprocket. Starcross knobbies look great on them and the taller knobs make the kickstand work better.

Definately a sweet entry level bike to get back to the roots fiddy scene. My gripes with the bikes are all little things that most people would change out anyway.

Setup Tips:

-One of the pitster guys posted this already... but add a second 6mm nut to the chain adjusters to act as a jam nut

-Grease the steering bearings/axles/lever pivots/etc because they are dry. (a dealer should do this anyways if you aren't buying it direct)

-Adjust the stock chain every 5 minutes or replace it with something legit. I have a customers bike in the shop that threw a chain and took out the ignition cover and trigger coil. Pitster is taking care of it even though its really the customers problem. Keep the chain adjusted! Also... last time I spoke to the parts department they did not have replacement stators for the XJR SS available so you will be cobbling something else on if it breaks.

-Tighten the nuts on the bottom of the handlebar clamps fairly tight as it will take some of the rubber feel out of the handlebars.

-Keep an eye on the fuel petcock. The jam nuts are loose sometimes, and sometimes they just plain leak where the petcock meets the tank. A little sealant around the tank/petcock junction seemed to help

-I added a rim lock with the starcross knobbies to prevent ripping valve stems... kind of a normal thing to do with any pitbike with enough power to spin the tire on the rim.

Thats all I have for now. I will post up more info/pics as I deal with them more.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
The carbs are 22mm , and all that I have set up and ran were easy to make the stack acrb work and work well, first try adjusting the mixture screw, then if needed jets.

The forks with my fork mod will not only work better than stock Honda 50 forks ,, they actually have damping and do not bend like the stock Honda forks.

The rear shock is passable, but an upgrade is needed for a more serious riding.

The chain will stop stretching after about 5 adjustments, But add an x4 chain guide to it and the chain will stay on better.

As for the bar mount,, after a bunch of tightening,, the rubbers will settle down enough to feel firm.( i am looking into some aftermarket rubber replacements)

These are my personal results , my sons and I have been durability testing three off these for three months now and the engines have been bulletproof.

These are really a good starting platform for a good backyard basher.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Too bad I went through everything that was listed the hard way bolts under the bar clamps broke coming into a turn footprg assembly snapped off a face of a table top chain came off bundled up n broke the stator n chipped the notch off the flywheel. Went through 2 different carbs cause of faulty jets rear shock was thrashed 3rd time ridin. Its like onething after another wit this bike

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like Matt said, these little bikes keep on running! I only had one problem with running and it turned out to be a fuel related issue. (customer filled tank with old separated gas... ethanol sucks)

One re-ocurring problem that I have come across is the exhaust hangers keep breaking. The material is pretty flimsy, but the real problem area is where the mounting bolt goes through the strap. There just isn't enough material to support the pipe. I have one to fix this afternoon and I will try to take some pictures of my quick fix. I am buying some pre-bent PVC pipe hangers (made from galvanized steel not pvc) at the hardware store and doing a little modding.

One other setup tip for those of you putting these together at home. Pull the gas cap off and pull the little rubber insert out from inside the cap. Inspect the little vent holes in the rubber piece. Most of the ones I have seen dont have completely open vent holes. 2 seconds with some snips fixes that. Just open the holes up in the stock location the size they are supposed to be and you will be golden.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
they are for kids if you beat the S*@t out of them they will brake!!! we just raced 7 of them every weekend 4 motos 4 weeks in a row and only had one chain come off, when racing these little bikes you have to finesse them cant be flat landing them hard off jumps...

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
washracer_11 said:
they are for kids if you beat the S*@t out of them they will brake!!! we just raced 7 of them every weekend 4 motos 4 weeks in a row and only had one chain come off, when racing these little bikes you have to finesse them cant be flat landing them hard off jumps...

YES, just what he says finesse is important but these things are a blast! Rode ours pretty hard this weekend and the chain came off do to being new and stretching. But other than that beat the p$ss out of them. Well worth the $$$.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The pretty basic walk-through for the pipe hanger...

Here I am bending part of the hanger straight with the vise because it isn't the same diameter as the canister.

Clamped in the vise ready to hack off the extra...

Removed the excess and rounded off the sharp edge

Wrapped the band around the canister to achieve the correct diameter

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Now that I know the diameter, the extra material on the other side can be removed and rounded over.

Drilling the pilot... I followed this with the correct size bit for the mounting bolt

The rubber trim piece was lost by the time the bike came back with a broken hanger, so I cut out two sections from an old tube and it worked pretty slick

Finished product

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
washracer_11 said:
Post up graphic kits you have put on them. I know matified's is the Ricky Carmichael edition ha ha
This one has the fork mod,Uni filter, a DMN rear shock, X4 pegs, and x4 chain guide.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Mine is not a pitster but I thought I would post it up in comparison to the pitster. We have a sweet stocker thing going on right now in utah, Hopefully we can keep it going. to me it is the best class out there right now ha ha

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
tblumer said:
Are you scaring the Amish with those things tearing around Malone?

They are usually breaking their necks checking out bikes by the road as they trot by in the buggy! Makes me laugh every time :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts