PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from the Mesquite race were I got to ride and race the X4 for the first time and here are my evalutions.

I had originally planned to race my 10" bike, but when I saw the ruts, deep soil, and mud on the track I started to think more about the x4's bigger wheels and longer travel.

I can not say that this is a review of the x4 in completely stock form. I did take the engine out of my x2 and put it in the x4 (GPX140 with a ported Lifan head, shaved slinger and flywheel, and 26mm carb), I also put on a set of Renthal bars, Fastway pegs, and set the sag, thats it, pretty minimal and I do not think that they affect the review. In fact, I think that making these changes allows a more direct view of the bike, here is why. The motor is one that I am very used to, the bars and pegs are also something that I am used to, so all I did was increase my comfort level to see how the rest of the bike works. So without further rambling, here we go.

In short, the x4 impressed me!! The bike turns very well, all you have to do is lay it over and it goes where you want it. The suspension was pretty impressive as well, I already knew what to expect from the rear shock since I have been riding a similar one in the x2 chassis, but it exceeded my expectation. The rear stayed glued to the ground, and soaked up all the rough lines that I seemed to find myself in on the track.

These forks that everyone is asking about? I was really surprised at how well that they tracked, they did an excellent job of soaking up all the braking bumps and setting up well for turns. They ramp up nicely and do not bottom harshly at all, so none of that metal to metal clank sound that you hear with some other forks. They were laterally stiff so no wandering in the ruts, overall a very good fork.

The chassis itself felt a bit larger than other 110's that I have ridden, but I have not spent a sigificant amount of time on 110's to say that it is in fact bigger, but it does feel slightly taller and longer. I did not feel cramped at all, and at my 6' tall, 190lbs. that is plenty roomy for most anyone. The frame felt nice and long, with no noticeable flex or twistin. The brakes do a good job of stopping the bike, the front is a little wooden in feel for my personal taste, but that is preference and not negative. To my surprise, after each practice session and moto, I checked every nut and bolt and not one was loose or missing. The spokes front and rear were also all tight and the wheels were in great shape. Those of you that ride these china imports know how rare that really is!

One thing of note, the stock exhaust on these bikes is very impressive! The header size is equal to that of the Ultima (if not a hair larger) the can is mounted very well, and the sound is AWESOME!

The other China bike makers are going to have to some serious work to do to catch up to this bike, in fact I would not be surprised to see some of the "name brand" sales start slipping with this bike out there.

GREAT JOB PITSTER PRO!!!!!

·
Vendor
3,643 Posts
Nice review and nice Vid.

Tyler won the 12 Am on a stock x4r, you can see him in the red jersey in front of Jer in the vid. Not too bad for being coop'd up in the snow all winter!!

Tyler won by over 6 sec in the final race with a stock 124 GPX engine!!

The Pitsters and SGR boys dominated the 10 inch class too!!.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pitster said:
Nice review and nice Vid.

Tyler won the 12 Am on a stock x4r, you can see him in the red jersey in front of Jer in the vid. Not too bad for being coop'd up in the snow all winter!!

Tyler won by over 6 sec in the final race with a stock 124 GPX engine!!

The Pitsters and SGR boys dominated the 10 inch class too!!.

Great job for both Pitster and SGR!!

It was fun to see as many if not more Pitsters in almost every class than all others combined.

·
Registered
107 Posts
X4 forks

Trailpimp,

we just got our X4 in, it's our first pitbike some of it's a learning curve....the rear suspension is pretty much dialed in...the front is a head ache....which fork is the rebound and which is compression....I thought it was harsh on the ruts and breaking bummps...landings seemed OK.....I saw you had yours on the bench...can you give me some info on what your doing....thanks for any info and insight to these forks!

Larry

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
kijen said:
Trailpimp,

we just got our X4 in, it's our first pitbike some of it's a learning curve....the rear suspension is pretty much dialed in...the front is a head ache....which fork is the rebound and which is compression....I thought it was harsh on the ruts and breaking bummps...landings seemed OK.....I saw you had yours on the bench...can you give me some info on what your doing....thanks for any info and insight to these forks!

Larry

Right side is rebound, left side is compression. Give them a few rides to break in before you get too serious about tuning them, but one thing to do is loosen the pinch bolts on the bottom, then compress the fork a few times, then re-tighten them. That will make sure that you are not getting any binding. Once the forks are broken in (a few good hard rides should do it) then change the oil.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fast_Eddie said:
What are you running for rear sag? I was guessing around 75mm. Am I even close?

I raised the oil level a bit in my forks and they look as nice inside as they do outside.

Set rear sag at 50mm (about 25% of total travel) measured from the axle to a fixed point on the rear fender.

Set the oil level in the fork @ 90mm.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update!!!!

So today I went and rode at a track that I am very familiar with and here are some additions to my original post.

First, I am now even more impressed with the bike!!!

The suspension is pretty good out of the box, although at first I thought that it was not reative enough, but after comparing my lap times to my best times at this track I see why I thought this.....I was 8 seconds faster on the x4!!!!! 8 seconds on a 1 minute 30 second track!!! My best time ever on the x2r with the exact same motor, works suspension, and taller gearing was 1:31.8

On the x4 I was turning consistant 1:25's but my best was 1:23.7!

So the suspension was working very well, I was just going faster, also the track was very rough from all the winter snows and was not groomed.

I was also over jumping 2 jumps that I had yet to clear on my x2, in fact I had to coast up the face to not overclear it (I am still learning the scrub).

The perfect way to describe the x4 vs. the x2 or x3 is by saying the x2 and 3 bikes feel like riding big minis, the x4 feels like riding a small big bike.

This is a big bike track, and while I usually ride my x2 here, I have always felt nervous riding around the big bikes, NOT with the x4!!

Now I do not think that the x4 is for everyone, my friend who loves pitbikes prefers the feel of a 50 modded out, he rode my x4 and though that it was just a little big bike, and not a mini. He did have to follow my dust all day though!!!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Outlaw Powersports said:
^^^ Right on, getting more comfortable in the seat.

Did you get much differnce in performance from the forks after you serviced them?

Yeah, I changed the oil played around with some different weights and found what height works best. After some break in and new oil they feel pretty good.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
kaw_551 said:
Where did u get your X4? How does it compare to a stock 110 in speed and feel? Is it much bigger then a 110?

I have not spent a significant amount of time on a stock 110 to give you much comparison. It is slightly longer and maybe a very small amount taller than a modded 110. It does have more power out of the box than a stock 110, as stock 110s are about 5hp and the GPX stock is 8hp. The more I ride it the more comfortable, confident, and impressed I am with this bike. My advice is go buy one!! Really, I do not tell people what bike to buy, but this x4 really is all that the hype says it is. I have yet to talk to someone who has thrown a leg over one and NOT walked away wanting one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.