PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up a rough and partially complete 1971 K0 CT 70 to rebuild with my 8 year old son and am in need of some parts that either are not there, or just utterly destroyed. Someone did some very unthinkable things to this poor bike that I am trying to undo.

Located in London, Ontario, so will require shipping unless you are somewhat local (100km ish).

I am in search of the following:
Flywheel Cover
Engine Guard Skid Plate
Handle Bars
Top Handle Bar Mount

Seat Latch
Battery Box and Tail Light
Spark Plug Guard
Levers
Shifter Lever
Kick Start Lever

TIA.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Keep in mind, a lot of these little bike were bought for and used by, children. Children typically just want it to start and go...by any means possible. It's not uncommon to see some hacked up messes on these 50 year old toys. The fact that so many have survived is pretty impressive. The fact that SO many service parts are still available...pretty impressive! Honda, when they started building them... was probably expecting these bikes to be thrashed and trashed...disposable.

You need quite a bit. It's going to add up pretty quick.
A lot of these things are available as good aftermarket.
Everything is available used...from junk to nice...from $5 to 1 million dollars.
eBay is a great source for used parts...but prices can be pretty high for good used original parts.
The forums can be good sources for parts, but you'll need a little luck.
Only you can decide the best route to take, to match your goals.
You COULD probably find almost everything you need from one vendor...and just write the check. Fast, easy, done.
Or you can save a few bucks if you're willing to put in the work and time to source used...at the right prices.

I have quite a few parts to sell...are you looking for cheap and rusty, or nice but expensive?? There's not much in-between.

Here's something to ponder...

I am in search of the following:
Flywheel Cover...good repop $40 I think...good used up to $125.
Engine Guard Skid Plate...good repop $75? Good used 75-$150
Handle Bars...good repop recommended $125?
Top Handle Bar Mount...good used or repop 60-$125
Seat Latch ...new or used 15-$30
Battery Box and Tail Light...BB 60-$90 and TL new or repop or used 20-$70?
Spark Plug Guard...good repop is pretty cheap
Levers...used junk cheap or good repop recommended
Shifter Lever...used or good repop for maybe $25?
Kick Start Lever...good repop is cheap and recommended 20-$25

If you're insisting on OEM...and a LOT of folks do...it's all out there.
Let us know what kind of parts your lookin for...we can try to help.
Cheap and rusty, or nice but expensive...or repop and done.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
And...LOL

I know from experience, these bikes can be worth a LOT more than money...to a LOT of us.
Don't be too caught up about spending the cash...a little, or a lot.
For you, and your son, the main thing is to have a good experience, and finish with a good result. You're sure to love the bike when it's done. So just make it fun.

Once you're finished, and your son loves it...when he rides off on it, you're gonna be thinking..."I need one of those, so I can ride with him". And you'll be right :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh by no means am I going OEM on everything, I am not a millionaire. HAHA

I have tried to reuse as much core as I can from this bike but the reality is most of it is really bad. That and there is a lot missing. I have managed to find repop of some of the key items which is good. Ordered $1500 in parts yesterday, somethings I didn't even know I needed (rectifier).

The one thing I am having a tough time finding, even a repop is a battery box. I have been looking in the normal places, Kijiji, Ebay, Amazon, and then some specialty shops as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I said oem, I just meant genuine Honda...new or used...NOT repop.

$80+ :confused:
Ya the cost of some of these parts is staggering at best. But I guess if there isn't another option then you are on your own to sort something out.
I may just try to fab something up for the battery box instead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.