PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Dug the ZB out after 4 years in the garage. Managed to get it running after cleaning the carb, but I've now got no blinkers ?. I've proved continuity in the switch and wires front and back.

My bike has a kickstart only motor in and has had the battery removed.

My issue is I've seen the relay smoking when the bike is running. The flasher relay is a 3 pin.
I am going to remove the blinkers tomorrow so I can get it on the road (in the UK we MOT test to check a vehicle is safe for the road. Broken indicators fail, but no indicators is perfectly legal.)

Electrics baffle me, so I've got no idea what to order here. The standard relay I can find no problem but I also have what looks like a 2 pin relay.

The only thing I have changed since buying the bike is the engine, which a friend fitted for me. It was all working perfect before being hurled in to storage with no pre-preperation.

Can someone please confirm what this 2 pin relay is? I've looked at ZB wiring diagrams and can't see anything similar on them.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,676 Posts
Can someone please confirm what this 2 pin relay is? I've looked at ZB wiring diagrams and can't see anything similar on them.
Where was this 2 pin relay located on the bike? That doesn't look like a factory signal relay.
tmas

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Your blinkers run off of the battery. So, you'll need a battery first thing. Also, if you run your bike with no battery installed, you'll blow the headlight, indicator lights, etc.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
The 2 pin gadget may be a voltage regulator of some sort...2pins and a grounding type mount. Your bike should have a cdi gadget, a flasher relay gadget, and a voltage regulator gadget. 3 gadgets attached to the wire harness :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your blinkers run off of the battery. So, you'll need a battery first thing. Also, if you run your bike with no battery installed, you'll blow the headlight, indicator lights, etc.
I've never had a battery fitted and used the ZB as a daily commuter for two years, with no issues, when I first bought it. Like I say electrics baffle me, but I have two other bikes with indicators, an RD350 and DT230. Neither one has a battery.

Surely the lighting coil in the flywheel puts out the voltage needed for all lighting when the bike is running.
My understanding was that the regulator/rectifier would do as the name suggests and stop the lights blowing.

I've seen that wiring loom diagram (I assume as it's currently down for maintenance) but remember the CDI and CDI rubber housing being numbers 1+2. I can now confirm that the 2 pin item I posted before is indeed the reg/rec as there isn't currently anything other than the Takegawa CDI and the Ignition coil still attached to the loom. Well either that or some other voodoo electrical magic....

Time to scourge the internet for a 2 pin reg/rec.

Thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
10,676 Posts
I've never had a battery fitted and used the ZB as a daily commuter for two years, with no issues,
I've run several ZB50 's without a battery and never blown a single bulb or had any electrical issues either. Sometimes to make the signals work I've had to rev the engine up a bit.
Just to let you know the 91-94 CT70 uses the same wiring harness, voltage regulator and signal relay as the 1988 ZB50.
tmas

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
I've never had a battery fitted and used the ZB as a daily commuter for two years, with no issues, when I first bought it. Like I say electrics baffle me, but I have two other bikes with indicators, an RD350 and DT230. Neither one has a battery.

Surely the lighting coil in the flywheel puts out the voltage needed for all lighting when the bike is running.
My understanding was that the regulator/rectifier would do as the name suggests and stop the lights blowing.

I've seen that wiring loom diagram (I assume as it's currently down for maintenance) but remember the CDI and CDI rubber housing being numbers 1+2. I can now confirm that the 2 pin item I posted before is indeed the reg/rec as there isn't currently anything other than the Takegawa CDI and the Ignition coil still attached to the loom. Well either that or some other voodoo electrical magic....

Thanks guys!
If you are not going with a battery, you don't need a rectifier. There are two wire regulators (yellow wire hooks to the hot wire, black hooks to a ground) that are simple installs, or a 4-pin reg/rec will work just hooking up the yellow and green wires, and leave the rectifier pins alone. The hot wire in either case simply hooks to the yellow wire in a "T" configuration, and the other wire is ground.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I thought the regulator was only protecting one of 2 different lighting circuits, and the battery protected the 2nd. I've never ran, or wired a CT to run without a battery. But obviously, it can be done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All sorted guys. Got booked in for hydrodipping in 2 weeks. Still to decide the coating... I'm a slave for choice.

The frame, swing arm, rims and original handle bars were chromed before my ownership and everything else is candy metal flake pink. The chrome used to be mint, but my storage facility isn't water tight and it has suffered from severe neglect. Going to get the frame and swing and rims powder coated. The tank, hubs, yokes etc are getting dipped. I'll be glad to see the back of its current theme.

Thanks again guys! I shall boat some before and after shots soon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts