PlanetMinis Forums banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1972 Honda Z50A, 1976 Honda 90, 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2012 Triumph Bonneville
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I think I have the too-long throttle cable and the obstructing air filter sorted. But I have a question. My 88cc kit came with a Bakelite spacer for the intake, obviously a head shield. It would make sense to mount this between the manifold and the carb. But, the bolt and intake holes don’t line up.

If I mount it between the intake manifold and the head, it fits perfectly to the bolt holes. But, it hits against the bottom of the carb. Anyone used this kit and spacer? How did you mount it?

·
Super Moderator
10,359 Posts
You have it mounted correctly in the bottom photo. If it is touching the carb bowl, slightly loosen the bolts, hold the phenolic spacer and rotate the carb outward a hair.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Thanks. That’s what I thought. Another modified 50 owner in town claimed that I had it on wrong, but I was pretty sure I had it correct.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Well, it's finally done. If a bike like this is ever done! Might put a new pipe on it somewhere down the line, or modify the existing exhaust. But, we've wrapped up the project for now.
Did solve the carb situation. Rotated the carb as far inward as the intake mount would allow. Used a 90 degree petcock to clear the air filter. Bought an air filter with a 90 degree elbow to clear the fuel line. I still have to put a fuel filter on, but it all fits nicely. I had the original throttle cable shortened by 1" to allow for the difference between the old carb 90 degree vs the new carb straight in cable mount. That worked perfectly and gives me nearly full throttle range. Replaced the old, worn throttle slide and collar with new bits.

Over all, we're quite pleased with the look of the bike. For those who don't recognize the paint scheme, it's meant to be a tribute to MotoGP rider and 2006 world champion, Nicky Hayden from Kentucky, who was tragically killed in a cycling accident in 2017.

The bike started right away after a couple kicks and runs great with the carb settings right out of the box. The only thing that I do notice is that the engine seems 'tight'. When you kick it over, it really only spins as long as it's being turned by the kickstarter. So, if it doesn't fire during the kick, it's not likely to start. Not sure if this will change once its broken in a bit, or if that's a result of the higher compression. No smoke or noise or leaks and it runs like a top. I'll get out with it this week and really run it around and try to get it broken in.
Thanks for the advice I received from everyone here. Great help, and it got us to this point.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Final product turned out great!
The metallic in the blue and the red peaking through the exhaust guard make it pop. Where did you source the taillight bracket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Well, it's finally done. If a bike like this is ever done! Might put a new pipe on it somewhere down the line, or modify the existing exhaust. But, we've wrapped up the project for now.
Did solve the carb situation. Rotated the carb as far inward as the intake mount would allow. Used a 90 degree petcock to clear the air filter. Bought an air filter with a 90 degree elbow to clear the fuel line. I still have to put a fuel filter on, but it all fits nicely. I had the original throttle cable shortened by 1" to allow for the difference between the old carb 90 degree vs the new carb straight in cable mount. That worked perfectly and gives me nearly full throttle range. Replaced the old, worn throttle slide and collar with new bits.
View attachment 275831
View attachment 275832

Over all, we're quite pleased with the look of the bike. For those who don't recognize the paint scheme, it's meant to be a tribute to MotoGP rider and 2006 world champion, Nicky Hayden from Kentucky, who was tragically killed in a cycling accident in 2017. View attachment 275833
View attachment 275834
View attachment 275835

The bike started right away after a couple kicks and runs great with the carb settings right out of the box. The only thing that I do notice is that the engine seems 'tight'. When you kick it over, it really only spins as long as it's being turned by the kickstarter. So, if it doesn't fire during the kick, it's not likely to start. Not sure if this will change once its broken in a bit, or if that's a result of the higher compression. No smoke or noise or leaks and it runs like a top. I'll get out with it this week and really run it around and try to get it broken in.
Thanks for the advice I received from everyone here. Great help, and it got us to this point.
Congratulations, it turned out awesome!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Final product turned out great!
The metallic in the blue and the red peaking through the exhaust guard make it pop. Where did you source the taillight bracket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The tail light bracket and 'luggage' rack came from PhatMX in Canada. Had to make some slight mods to get the tail light to fit, but they sell a different tail light that does fit it perfectly.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Pulled the spark plug after riding it a bit. Seems to be running a bit rich. Thinking that I should raise the needle one notch. It’s in the center now.

·
Super Moderator
10,359 Posts
Seems to be running a bit rich. Thinking that I should raise the needle one notch. It’s in the center now.
Raising the needle UP one notch will richen the mixture even more, raising the clip UP one notch will lean the mixture.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Raising the needle UP one notch will richen the mixture even more, raising the clip UP one notch will lean the mixture.
Right. That’s what I meant 😀

61 - 73 of 73 Posts