PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an an extra 03 xr70 motor in my garage and was thinking about dropping it into my Z50 but i just want to make sure before i start performing surgery that everything will match up...i can already notice that the electrical looks to be a little different but as far as a functional swap without having to hack anything i'd like to know this...with this being the case ill just get an 88 superhead kit for the 70 motor that will be in the z50r....let me know what you think...and im open to an advice...thanks!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
What year is your z50? If it is older than 88 it has a points electrical system rather than a CDI like the xr70 will have. The motor is a direct bolt up and you will need to use the xr70 wiring. The only problem would be is if you have an older z with lights the xr70 engine does not come with a stator to run lights.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
The 70 motor will bolt up (wiring and all) into any 1988 or newer Z50R. In order to work in 1987 and older bikes, you will need to modify the frame to mount the newer electrics (zip-ties?). This is much easier than modifying the newer motor to use the older electrics.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome...thanks guys...its a 93 Z...i already got the plus 4 kitaco swingarm and 330mm oversized rear shocks and black 8in. kitaco rims...ill try and get some pics up for everybody...frame and tank are getting powdercoated this week...it's going to be sweet when its done...keep ya posted!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya i would...it needs a stator but they go for like $15 on ebay so it shouldn't be a big deal...shoot me an offer...i see your out in WA so there'd probably be some decent shipping charges to get the thing across the country....if you can...try and get an estimate for what it would cost...im not sure of the gross weight but maybe you have an idea of some rough numbers...thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.