PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get my hands on a shock from a newer KTM 50... junior i believe. Would this offer much better suspension than the stock shock? It looks longer and beefier. Does any company make stiff springs for the KTM shock?

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need to know if this is gonna work for sure. It looks like it will just bolt up, but the spring might get in the way of the subframe. How have you guys managed to bend the subframe for bigger shocks?? Is it worth 50 bucks? I dont want to be completely dissappointed with it... but at the same time i don't expect it to be an i-shock.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The shock will bolt right up.

Although it is longer than most shocks and puts the swing arm at a huge angle. If you have an extended S.A. you can make it work.

The shock is longer but has less actual shaft travel.

so you get the ride height but not the travel. A KTM 50 feels plush like it does b/c of the angle the shock sits. Giving it good wheel travel.

If you have a stock set up and am wanting a better feel in the back for less cash. check out the Kitaco shock at www.hondaminitrail.com , I think it sells for 100 or less. Its a great feeling shock.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have tried one. If it is off a junior it is the same length as stock. If it is from a Senior it will be longer and raise your seat height. If it is from a 2002 or newer it is a good shock, if it's older than that they aren't as good. Also, if it's from an older air cooled model you won't have to spread your sub-frame. I weigh 230lbs. and it was too stiff for me. I have tried both newer and older types. My opinion is that it is way too stiff for the xr's swingarm ratio and like Milan (harris718) said you will lose travel. Ishock is the way to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.