PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to motorcycles, so I have minimal knowledge. My question:

I have a lake I go fishing at thats a 4 mile hike on dirt road. I would like to take a small motorcycle to speed up these trips but have to be able to get over a couple of low fences (yes its legal - its to keep cows in). Would a crf50 be my best bet? Im 5'9 170 and usually have about 30 pounds of stuff with me in my backpack. Some of the hills are pretty steep. Would I need to modify it because of my weight? Will the engine carry me up hills? Is there another option (like a crf 70) that would be better?

Just making sure before I buy one that this would be my best option....

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
4,382 Posts
New to motorcycles, so I have minimal knowledge. My question:

I have a lake I go fishing at thats a 4 mile hike on dirt road. I would like to take a small motorcycle to speed up these trips but have to be able to get over a couple of low fences (yes its legal - its to keep cows in). Would a crf50 be my best bet? Im 5'9 170 and usually have about 30 pounds of stuff with me in my backpack. Some of the hills are pretty steep. Would I need to modify it because of my weight? Will the engine carry me up hills? Is there another option (like a crf 70) that would be better?

Just making sure before I buy one that this would be my best option....

Thank you
You would be fine with the 50cc engine on the flats, but you would want a 70 or 88cc cylinder if you want to get up the hills. Even a 70 cc would be a little underpowered with 200 lbs of load going uphill. The CRF50 frame would work, but with 30lbs in your backpack, you would be in danger of wheelie-ing out going uphill. An extended swingarm, or a pack on the gas tank would be needed to keep the weight right.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
It may be illegal to operate motor vehicles on those trails. Check at the nearest ranger station. The ranger can impound your bike and give you a fine. The impound rates vary, but expect to pay around $1500 to get the bike back plus about $500 in fines. If it is legal to operate motor vehicles on the trails, look at getting a ct90 or ct110 with the hi/lo range transfer case. They'll practically climb a wall

·
Registered
72 Posts
you want a small motorcycle because it has to fit in your car to get there? or you want a small motorcycle because you have to lift it over fences? I mean if I was you id go for something abit bigger than a 50 or 70.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.