PlanetMinis Forums banner

Why Doesn't Tb Replicate The Tak Special Clutch

7K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  bravedave420 
#1 ·
Seems like a no brainer to me. After finally experiencing the Tak Special clutch, its a huge upgrade over the stock type manual clutches. I ran the TB manual for a while and I kind of felt like I wasted my money to be honest. The kit is quality and it does what it should but I feel like the crank mounted clutch design is such a limiting factor. I think if TB brought a main shaft mounted clutch to market for around 300-350 bucks I think they would have a definite winner on their hands. I can't say I would ever pay 700 bucks for the real Tak kit but I would have gladly paid around 300 for a TB version. Maybe the 50 market is dead and the time has passed but dang, how did this never happen?

#5 ·
Yeah I agree the Tak stuff is great but if that's all there was out there, I probably wouldn't be able to afford a mini. When my special clutch needs a new basket and plates thats gonna suck up my mini budget for a full month. If TB sells the complete 88 race head for for 349$ it seems like they should be able to make a quality main shaft clutch for around the same price or slightly less.

#12 ·
It would be a bit easier to make your own mutant kit if you had the tak transmission as the main shaft is about an inch longer. Otherwise you would need to make a sleeve/extender like the one that comes with the takie kit for stock transmissions. Its a lot more work/effort than I care/know how to do

#13 ·
i don't have a 50 engine here so i'm not 100% sure. but i think i may know of a setup that might work and you wouldn't need a sleeve/extender for the basket. prolly would require a lil machine work on the primary. what would be considered affordable? chp retails the takegawa clutch kit at 645 so would 350ish be in the ball park?

#32 ·
Lol. Ptechs got a "monthly mini budget" thats hardcore. But hes totally right. Theres a clutch for $150 and one for $700. No other options, duh. On another subject..... Has anyone installed a hydraulic rear brake and eliminated the lower part of the stock frame?

#37 ·
Anyone make more progress on this idea? Might have to get a honda motor just to try messing with this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.