PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay Vegas is over. We need that report from Bret at Faster-Minis on the slick Showa fork setup he had.

PLUS I want to hear from the Vinco boys on why they didn't keep the CR85 brakes on the Showa forks??

Regards.

·
Registered
223 Posts
trailpimp33 said:
These forks are super easy to do, anyone with a CR85 fork hit me up and I will spill the beans.
I am no expert, but it seems to me that the cr85 forks are overkill for the 110 chassis. Too long, too tall, too big. Wouldn't it be similar to installing a 250F front end on a kx 100? Someone plese explain.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Ok, here's the report. The forks are THE STUFF. They are NOT too long and NOT overkill. The best mini forks I have ridden, by far. I love Zokes but these are that much better. Very much a big bike feel, very plush, NO bottoming. However, the brakes...they SUCK!. Worse than Zoke Formula or Hayes MX brake. I know that seems not possible but it is. I am now in the process of trying to figure out a way to put a different brake on it. I am going to see if I can machine a bracket to hold the Pax brake. Besides being a little heavy, the Pax brake is sweet...just like my big bike. As far as the CR85 hub and brake, I spoke with Vinco yesterday and they are looking into it but I think they may have a problem with the hub being too wide. We'll see. By the way, the report on the forks performance is also confirmed from one of our pro riders, Randy Pekarek who placed 6th in the 12E Main at Vegas. He loved the forks and said the same things about them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bret,

Thanks for the report. I am considering some of these Showa forks, so don't be surprised if I hit you up with some more questions.

Thanks again for the report...and I agree with the one dude earlier who said they are indeed the best looking forks I have seen.

Regards.

·
Registered
42 Posts
trailpimp33 said:
These forks are super easy to do, anyone with a CR85 fork hit me up and I will spill the beans.

I have the forks, so spill. The stock CR85 stem is to short, and the bearings are not compatible.

What is the width of the Vinco clamps? (center of fork to center of fork) The CR clamps are quite wide, so if you are looking to go to the CR brake and Vinco doesn't run the CR width clamps an RM85 wheel may be closer. The RM also uses the showas and are like 10mm or more narrower.

Anyone know if Vinco will just sell the clamps? Otherwise I'm looking into a custom stem set-up to mount the forks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.