PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering if anyone could give me some tips on how to do wheelies properly? thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
step one: evenly apply the throttle

step two: lean back, not to far

step three: dont fall back, my best friend has the pins and srews in his ankle to prove it........I think he jinxed my bike.....

step four: practice makes perfect........try using a hill, you wont have to lean back as far..........

I wish I had a fifty when I learned them, falling back on a CR125 tends to hurt alot more.

·
Registered
491 Posts
im about 5-10 and i got bmx bars on my bike, sitting just so i'm almost on the back fender works the best for me then i just try to build up the rpm and then pull up. with a stock carb its a bit harder cuz not as much bottom but once u get up its pretty easy. and do it in 2nd. the only thing i can;t do is keep a steady throttle, im always have to lean back and forth and let on and off the throttle.

·
Registered
134 Posts
When I wheelie. I do it in first most of the time when I do it. I come to a complete stop with my feet still on the pegs and then just hit the gas pretty hard, pull and lean back. It comes right up. In second I dont come to a complete stop but I slow down alot. I have to have the power just right though or else it doesnt have the power to lift the front up. I havent done any third gear wheelies yet. Well I havent really tried because it seems like to weak of a gear. I cant wheelie that far but im getting the hang of using the rear brakes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
with my 88 kit, roll on the throttle and it comes up, in third.

AND its geared taller then stock

·
Registered
491 Posts
this weekend i wheelied my stock 50 a good 200ft. i also rode a 75cc kit and u can wheelie it in third. on a stocker there is no way u can wheelin in third. i find when i wheelie in 1st on my stocker i hav to put my feet down to keep side to side balance because i dont; go fast enough because i dont; want to over rev the engine in 1st. with the 75cc kit i found it to torquie to do 1st gear wheelies, but i am also not used to it. 2nd gear wheelies on my stocker i just slide my ass back, keep my foot on the pegs, slow down and pop it up. then u hav to use ur balance alot because u can;t just depend on the engine to keep u up, because if u start to go to fast u need to shift, and when u shift u fall :wink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
WHAT??? third gear wheelies are NOT impossible on a stock bike!! they are actually pretty fun, as well as hazardous. the secret to third gear wheelies is your speed. you have to get goin pretty fast so that your in the meat of the powerband. balance is also way more crucial becuase there is a lot less throttle response when in third gear.

now as far as normal wheelies go...

start in second gear(first is worthless for a beginner), get goin about 5 or 10 MPH, let off the gas, as you slow down to about 3 or 4 MPH(from engine braking only) crack the throttle and pull back, this needs to be one fluid motion. twist the trottle slightly before pulling back, to compensate for the lack of throttle response. once it is up, maintain throttle position( dont puss out!!) and it will rotate up to "the spot", then balance it with the throttle.

now as far as seating position is concerned, its a compromise. the further back you sit, the easier it comes up and the harder it is to control once its up. a couple inches from the back edge of the seat is usually the best spot. ALSO, it is very important to keep your arms stiff when your starting out. if you relax your arms, your weight will shift forward causing the front wheel to fall.

Any Questions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
165 lbs....but it has nothing to do with weight. it's all in the technique. you have got to get goin pretty fast in third, guessing maybe 20+MPH, let off for a second, gas it, and then you really have YANK it up! the speed intimidates a lot of people, but you cant be a pussy about it!!! if you want to do it, JUST DO IT, forget about how fast your going!

·
Registered
563 Posts
haha

3rd gear wheelies on a bone stock bike are so very possible. The trick to it is to start when going(easiest downhill) on the back of your bike with your feet off the pegs and pointed behind your bike. You have soooo much weight in the back that when you give it full throttle you wont have a problem lifting up the front tire... you can fall back pretty easy... but when you get used to watching the front fender go up and down you can wheelie in 3rd for: D A Y S

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.