PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question (or 3) for those running 12" wheels on tight roadrace tracks. What is the wheelbase of your bike (if you dont mind measuring for me) and how does it handle on small tight tracks ? Are you being outcornered by shorter more compact bikes in the tight stuff ? Are you outcornering the more compact bikes in the fast sweeping turns ? Are you happier on 12s or 10s on the track ?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I switched to a KX65 so I am not sure what the wheel base is but I did race all last season with a thumpstar and swapped back and forth from 10's to 12's. In reality the center of the wheel is still the center of the wheel regardless of whether you are on 10's or 12's so the wheel base isn't going to change with the tire size. The ride height changes as does the CG but not the wheelbase. The 10's are very switchy especially on the faster tracks but once you get used to them they turn very nicely. I also ran 10's because of the Sava MC01 slicks. These tires were awesome and never failed me. The 12's are more solid and dont turn as nicely but they were definitely more planted and more forgiving. Feedback also seemed to be better on the 12's. The problem I had was getting a decent tire for the 12's. The dunlops are a good tire but the Sava's were better and our supplier just couldn't keep the Sava 12's in stock.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
KX 65 on 12" TT92's = 44 1/2" wheelbase with axle in the center of the adjustment slot in the swinger.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I loved my stk wheel base klx 110 with 12's at Cycles 128 . I never got to try it at Rt106 , but I'm sure I'd be very happy there too .

As for my both of my xr 50 10" bikes .., The +2 swingarm chassis and my xr70 wheel based 50 .

The +2 bike is a little too ground clearnaced challanged for my like'n .

My other one is still a work in progress . :)

I liked both 50's alot ...., but for me they can react too quickly to the smallest adjustments . Bars input , weight transfer etc ... I'm run'n the 3x10" SL26's on the +2 and 3.5x10" SL26's on the other bike .

I may try some of those monster sized Sava's next . It may help slow down the inputs ? :???:

Hope this helps ya ? :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Something else to consider, you can run full size bike bars to reduce twitchyness some. The short bars make steering reaction and input that much more sensitive. Since I switched to big bars, I have much more control and smoother lines. And I'm harder to pass with my arms sticking out. :laugh2:

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JohnnyB said:
I loved my stk wheel base klx 110 with 12's at Cycles 128 . I never got to try it at Rt106 , but I'm sure I'd be very happy there too .

I went back and forth from my 10" bike to my kids KLX160 (stock wheelbase) at 106. Couldn't quite get around the tight little turns they have there as quick on the KLX but I sure loved the extra ground clearance and a little more leg room. Wasnt grinding my boots into the pavement as much anyway. :D The reason I'm asking is my next Z is gonna have 12" wheels and probably a +16cm swinger. I'm afraid it might be a little too stretched to get around a tight track like 106.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Kurlon's bike looked really long and he got around 106 in it's counter clock wise configuration with no problems .

I think you'll be ok ..

One thing that I did find out at cycles with my klx was that when I was make'n wicked abrupt steering inputs to avoid fallen riders in turns , it wouldn't push at all and I could power right around the mess !!:dance:

I've found that my riding style on the 10" bikes dictates me needing more grip on the front end .

I would lose the front if I didn't transfer my weight forward quick enough . So I've learn'd to set up my bikes for this . :) And walla .., grip everywhere now !!! :D

And hey , MO' :stooges::lol:..., makes a good point about bars .. I've been thru a bunch of diff styles and heights to get a feel good ride'n position too . ;)

Side note : My avatar is of me on my 70 wheel based 10" bike at 106 . I love to drag knee !!!!! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts