PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats a cheaper fix?

Whats cheaper, tear apart my GPX and fix what ever happened to the transmissions 2nd gear or buy a new one and transfer my 140 kit to it? Everything was going fine and all of a sudden in 2nd gear only it started to surge and bang, and then it locked up tight! The chain was tighter than a piano wire after it locked up. What happend? :confused: After it cooled down when I got home the chain tension freed up but its still F!!KED UP!!!:mad: I rember seeing a video of a kid smashing his engine with a sledge hammer and now I know how he felt!:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Not sure whar would be cheaper but it would be whole lot easier to buy a whole new one and just swap the top end out. How old is it? you just got it not too long ago right? the dealer maybe will do a warranty of some kind

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the bike in july of last year but it only has about 15 hours on it and no races,cause every race I plan on going to gets cancelled!:mad:

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah thats the one,I swear I've about had it with this thing I could see my self doing just that! Sorry about plowing into you today but I was in the rut right next to you and when you got out of shape I had nowhere to go.:eek: Not the intro I was going for!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
lol yeah after we took that video if felt so good ahha. but nah it was my bad, my back wheel fell outa the rut and i got all screwy. ahah yea but a funny way to meet. but either way you chose to do it try and get that thing running for the next etown!

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes 4 up tranny 06 X2. Yeah I will be ready for the next race for sure, I did not know that was you in that video thats funny. I bet it felt good smashing that piece of sh!t, a real stress reliever! I think I've got a BIG hammer out in the garage!!:mad:

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just drained the oil and the magnetic plug was loaded with metal. Is there a screen or filter to keep that sh!t from getting to the top end?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Piano wire tight ????

Well..., your chain should never be'n piano wire tight!!! This is the most likely cause of your transmission problems ...

A chain which is that tight will pull on the trans case bearing and then mayhem ensues .. :)

Yes there is a filter screen , but who's to say if the float'n metal didn't get thrown around by the crank and trans ???

If it were my engine , I'd be go'n over every part with a fine tooth comb . Make'n sure all is clean and no metal is stuck in any of the other bearings , clutch pack etc ...

But hey ..., I can be very anal about this kinda stuff ... :)

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
There is a two stage filtration system on these bikes. The first is a mesh screen on the bottom of the motor, protecting the inlet to the pump. It just catches 'large' pieces of debris. The second stage is the oil sling which attempts to remove smaller particles before they reach the plain bearing on the big end of the connecting rod.

As far as the chain being that tight... sounds like you may have been running it a bit tight to begin with. Like Johnny said, that'll put a ton of stress on your countershaft every time you compress the rear suspension. Too tight is a common mistake on just about all bike types, people don't realize how much slop is needed to keep that chain from getting tight at full travel.

Now, if someone could devise a frame and swingarm combo that had the swingarm pivot point in line with the countershaft, there wouldn't be a problem. : )

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I said after the tranny locked up the chain was balls tight not before. The chain was adjusted properly with plenty of slack. After everything cooled down and I washed the bike it freed up? Maybe from pushing it around afterwards I dont know? I just got the motor out and want to tear it down. Will I need any special tools? I think I heard twitchy mention the starter gear chiping and the piece getting lodged is the 2nd gear breaking it, is this possible?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
MAZZ77X said:
I said after the tranny locked up the chain was balls tight not before. The chain was adjusted properly with plenty of slack. After everything cooled down and I washed the bike it freed up? Maybe from pushing it around afterwards I dont know? I just got the motor out and want to tear it down. Will I need any special tools? I think I heard twitchy mention the starter gear chiping and the piece getting lodged is the 2nd gear breaking it, is this possible?

for tools to crack the cases open your gunna need an impact driver, a clutch nut tool, and a flywheel puller

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Vince for bailing me out once again:eek: . After driving out of your way to deliver me the rear wheel, I thought I used up all my favors. I owe you one, and at least a couple of beers!!:D

·
Registered
8,362 Posts
I would seek another Motor.... and Part out what you have left cases, Covers, Clutch basket ect ect. to atleast get something back toward another motor. Your chain being tight was a sure Possible cause also stress from Initial kickstarting it and not having it at TDC

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Like I said in post #14 the chain got tight after the trans locked up, and I always kick start from TDC, I picked that tip up on here from reading all the horror stories of snapped shafts and cracked cases. New engine on the way Thanks to Vince at T-BOLT!!!:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.