PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always find it interesing when I talk to people what they started out with as a kid.

I always had a very basic minibike growing up, nothing fancy with a small briggs and stratton motor. I recall wearing out the clutch every few months.

When I turned 15, while living in Germany, I got a Puch Moped (1977), which by the way I recently found on line and bought. It's not the same exact one I rode, but the same year, model, etc. My friend had a Honda Dax, which back then was way too expensive. My moped would run about 25-30, while his DAX would run 40mph. When I got older I got a Hercules 50cc moped (2 stroke sachs motor). That thing would fly!

Today, I have the 77 Puch Moped, a 2003 Rupp Wasp (basically a Honda Monkey clone with Rupp markings and endoresement) and a 1993 Honda Ct 70.

I've had several big bikes over the years, but I most enjoy the minis. :D

·
Banned
1 Posts
'74 GT-MX80, in May of '76:)

My first "modern" mini, an '05 Xtreme. Went through stock, 131, 146, YX150 phases before leaving the herd.

First Z, my current engine test mule. Has regular MI motorcycle title;) Can't decide to plate it or sell it. I'm sure I look silly on it:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Here is my first. I got it in 1972. This is the best picture I have of it together. Its in a box in the basement now. I just had the engine rebuilt/restored, and am collecting NOS parts to make bring it back to its original glory.

Here is my second. I got it in 2009. I also had the engine restored recently. My plan is to have twin Candy Gold Z50s.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
The first mini that I got for my B-day was a 70' Honda CT70 blue in color that thing rocked as a kid turning 11 , this is where my love for two wheels began.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Ha ha ..., me too squidwell ! :)

But .., I didn't get it for my birthday .. I was 13 at the time . I bought it from a friend for 25 bucks .. It didn't run and was kinda beat up too ..

I miss that thing still .. :(

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
MY first and only is my 74 Z50

I was loaned a few when I was younger I first learned on a pw50 and an American style called an "aggie bike" I think it was converted from an fair ride.

·
Registered
389 Posts
yamaha P-Dub 80, peice of junk, but it was fun, then i traded up to...

...this

then then modded it into this

·
3,299 Posts
Me and my 1970 CT70 circa 1970. Location: Chatsworth, NJ.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Hey razzo, nice pic! NO one wore helmets back in the day! I was 6 "1969" when i got my first minibike. No suspension, rear brake was "rub the tire" and no helmet! now those were the days! My first real motorcycle was a very used SL 100. God what a DOG. but fun.

·
3,299 Posts
geezer said:
Hey razzo, nice pic! NO one wore helmets back in the day! I was 6 "1969" when i got my first minibike. No suspension, rear brake was "rub the tire" and no helmet! now those were the days! My first real motorcycle was a very used SL 100. God what a DOG. but fun.

Lol! No one wore them riding their bicycle too! You got that right..the good old days. My first minibike was a Cat minibike, 3hp. Briggs,scrub brake from Discount Harry's. Remember that place? :D

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
RAZZO said:
Lol! No one wore them riding their bicycle too! You got that right..the good old days. My first minibike was a Cat minibike, 3hp. Briggs,scrub brake from Discount Harry's. Remember that place? :D
Hell yea, It was great. Berlin farmers market sold minibikes for a while too.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Mike, that's a sick pic!! My first mini was a 1969 CT70, I rode the wheels off the thing. All I wanted was a two stroke, my friends had RM80's YZ80's etc... I was stuck riding the grocery getter, still mad at my Dad. lol

·
Registered
230 Posts
My first bike was a yamaha pw80. My first pit bike for play as an adult was my '02 xr50. I have owned the '02 xr50 for about 4 years now and have also bought a '91 z50, and 2005 crf50 and just recently a 1988 zb50.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
My first was a no-name folding thing with a tiny no-name two-stroke and a tiny CVT drive, which my dad brought home from the swap meet, and which ran for a total of about 2 hours in the couple of years that we had it. I can't seem to attach a photo of one like it that I found, but I was able to attach it in a ShapeShifter's "Anyone build a Tote-Gote?" thread.

I got a '79ish Yamaha MX80, white tank with yellow MX letters, when I was about 11. I don't have photos of it but it looked pretty much like FP's yellow GT-MX that appeared earlier in this thread.

About two years later I got a '79ish Suzuki DS100 and rode that most of the way through junior high and high school, much to my frustration as my friends moved on to various motocrossers. I can say I'm pretty well versed in the performance limits of the DS100. I tried to run a hare scrambles on it once, even, and managed to make good use of its torque and maneuverability in the woods--thankfully it was a really tight woodsy course--but DNFed when I cooked my points and condenser on the third lap. Oh well. In the picture, it has forks, shocks and fenders from a '77 RM125 on it, but that was late in my DS phase. Most of the time I had it it had the dismal, flexy, craptacular stock forks on it. At least the tu-tone color scheme in the pic matched my 3/4-length-sleeve J & W Cycles/Suzuki jersey, which I was proud of at the time.

I "converted" a ratty, title-less GT380 two-stroke triple into sort of a dirtbike, which was actually pretty fun and reliable, in college...see discolored pic. It was more of a "maxi," I guess.

After a brief fling with streetbikes, still in college, I got the yellow K2 hardtail I still have, which you could sort of say was my first mini. See pic.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts