PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2003 honda crf 50 with a tak 88cc in it? Also has a yoshi pipe if that matters. What do you guys recommend for oil? Any help is appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
If its hot where you live run 20w50, if its cool run 10w40. Petroleum blend.. for sake of the clutch, I do not run synthetic. But as you will find opinions on this vary a lot..

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
JPence said:
Honda GN4 is my favorite.. seems to make my bikes run alot better than any other oils

How exactly does that oil make your bike run better?? What other brands have you tried?

·
Registered
154 Posts
phatfiddy said:
How exactly does that oil make your bike run better?? What other brands have you tried?

I have always used it in my big bikes and I use to run motul and valvoline in my 50 and when I started using GN4 I noticed a huge difference in the way it idoles, shifts, and performs during a long ride

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
i would agree I run GN4 in my crf50 never had a problem. granted I was in parking lots but I prolly put more time on that in a parking lot than most do on trails. Guys at the shop told me to run it because well I cant remember its been 2yrs. I use to run semi or fully synthetic for my 954rr and gsxr. I believe gn4 may be semi synthetic? but the way I see it Honda makes the motor honda makes the oil for their motors so must be a reason. and it isnt as expensive as synthetic oil.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
JPence said:
I have always used it in my big bikes and I use to run motul and valvoline in my 50 and when I started using GN4 I noticed a huge difference in the way it idoles, shifts, and performs during a long ride

Okay good info sounds like it doesnt break down too fast. Do you run 10w40 or 20w50?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Amsoil mcf 10w40, one of the best oils bar none.

Full synthetic, and unless your riding in 100°+ temps the 40 weight is fine.

The trans is what ruins the oil n bikes that share the trans with the motor, mcf can be used as a trans oil as well, it doesnt break down as fast.

Safe for use with wet clutch.

As long as it is a motorcycle specific oil you will not have problems with the clutch. Oils that say energy conserving have additives that may cause clutch slippage, thats where the myth that full synths are bad comes from.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
full synthetic is amazing except the price and for people who change oil often it sucks. I use to do oil changes every 800-1000 miles on my big bike and every 2-3 stunt sessions on my fiddy(keep in mind its a parking lot and no 1st or 3rd gear is used)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts