PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to paint a few items on my bike but i dont want to waste my time with poor quality paint that is going to chip when i wash my bike. Whats the closest paint to powdercoat lol i know powdercoating cant be compared to spraypaint but someones gotta know of some type of spray paint that works wonders!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I would say caliper paint would be the strongest spray on paint. Not the purdyest. But should give you alittle more grab.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As long as you don't use cheapy walmart 98 cent cans you will be ok with Rustoleum , Krylon etc. The trick is to give it at least three or four coats and one or two clear coats.

Let it dry in between coats and make sure it is nice and covered. Also when you get the clear make sure it says non yellowing on it. The clear coat is what will make look non spray painted.

Ive done 3 50 from frame up and painted every frame and swing arm I have also painted plastics handlebars even rims and this method has worked great for me.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Whatever kind of paint you choose, prep is the most important thing. make sure to scuff the object completely then use wax and grease remover or rubbing alcohol to clean it. make sure to spray light coats

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i guess ill try the proper technique with the prep, multiple light coats, and proper clear coating. Ive never been satisfied with spray painting but ill do it right this time. thanks everyone.. how about automotive paint? like the spray paint for bumpers. is that the same paint as regular krylon or rustolium

·
Registered
513 Posts
i used a 2 pac paint on my z50 frame,forks rims,tank was a 1st time for me spraying with a gun but was pretty easy and was happy with how it come up .

Is pic up of it in z50 of the mth , vote 1 haha

·
Registered
443 Posts
i paint cars for a living and i can tell you automotive paint is comepeltly differnet then spray paint i paint it holds amazing (IF IT WAS PREPED RIGHT) i painted my last frame with house of color orion silver with a green flake and a dupont snap dry clear it looked real good and then i had to do some work to the frame so now i rattle caned it white but it still looks good as the last time i did it

·
Registered
188 Posts
Any laquer or enamel paint in a can is nowhere near Base/clear urathane automotive paint, but you could powdercoat it cheaper than u could paint it with a good brand automotive paint. I say buy a good brand of enamel, prep it good and hose it.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I painted mine black last summer, I used rustoleum, I took an entire day and used an half can on primer, a whole can of paint, and a half can of clear. it holds up excellent.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im gonna give an attempt on my bars, i think they will be a good item to test my skills on. ( gonna go ahead and use primer,spray paint, clear coat) no powdercoat and no automotive spray

1 - 12 of 12 Posts